Fines

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by poo_finger, Sep 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just been fined by the army a total of 1500 quid, I was just wondering if this all comes out as a oner or in installments?!
    Surely the army when fining personnel take into account outgoing's? Bills, mortgage repayments etc?!
    If it all comes out at once i'm deep in the financial shite!
    Any help in answering this question would be appreciated.

2. Hi Mate,

Draft a letter to your CO (or whoever granted the award) explaining your circumstances. Think about an amount you can afford to pay each month work out the repayment time etc.. and put all this down and why this is all you can afford. Explain your outgoings etc.. Make sure you include how humble you are and that you still feel you are being punished so the effect is the same etc etc.. It is meant to be a punishment but also you have to be able to live!

The decision will lie with them ultimately so if you are really struggling they should understand so long as you eat humble pie.

This is all experience learnt from my mate 'dave!! :)

3. Unless things have changed a lot since I left (almost 15 years ago!), you can pay it in installments. The Army's attitude is that a fine is meant to hurt not cripple you.

I'm sure someone will give you up to date info, but there was a complex calculation based on a minimum rate of pay after the fine of c75% pay for married people and 50% for single people.

Another thing back then was that if you has a family maintenance back allotment it would not be stopped. I used to advise a lot of the pads to set one of these up to give them the money they needed to live, just in case they got a big fine (we were in NI and ppl were fined big money for loss of id cards etc)

Hope this helps.

4. £1500 is a fricking big fine so you must have dropped a right bollock. Best thing to do buddy is to stop 'wondering' and just cough up and put it all behind you. You should have thought of your outgoings before you fecked up..! :x

5. And if you are considering a letter then brush up on your use of the apostrophe-it'll impress more that way

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

£1000 was the norm for stuff back in the late 80s early 90s, I was fined £200 back in 1983 nearly crippled me, all taken in one go as well :roll:

7. Don't forget that their is a maximum amount that you can be charged by the different levels of command. So unless this individual is on about £120 a day, it must have been the CO who charged them.

It's been a while since I 'Marched in the Guilty Barsteward', so obviously things might have changed.

Whatever it is, cough up fella and stop dripping...

8. I'm pretty positive it will all come out in a oner. The fine cannot be more than the recommended amount laid down for your offence. Therefore guidance should have been sought by the person dealing out the punishment to ensure that the fine was within legal (military) limits and they should have taken into account your rank and pay in the Guide to Sentencing when deciding on £1500.

9. yeah yeah, all good advice. am i the only one wanting to know what he did? :)

c'mon poo finger, spill the beans! thats a whopper of a fine.

10. No CR I'm intrigued too....

Come on dungy_digits tell us what you've done

11. You don't have to look too far to find out - there is a thread in this forum that explains all! (Ever been busted?!...)

12. Last time I heard of a fine that big, it was some cnut who'd had an ND.