Fine for not renewing Photo Driving Licence

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by The_Wolf_Man, Nov 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have this morning received a letter advising me that that my Photo Driving Licence must be renewed by 31 Dec at a cost of £20 and if I fail to do so I could be fined £1000.

Anybody out there know what law I'd be in breach of and has anybody been prosecuted under such law? 8O
  2. Mr Google helps

In most circumstances, you’ll need to renew the photo on your driving licence before it expires, as the photo’s only valid for 10 years. If you’re a short period licence holder (over 70 or medical short period) you’ll only need to renew your photo when your driving entitlement expires.

Renewing your photo

With a renewal application

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you a renewal application pack two months before your photo is due to expire. You’ll need to:

* complete the enclosed form
    * include a new passport type photo of yourself that’s been taken within the last month - you don’t need the back of the photo signed
    * return both the photocard and counterpart of your licence - if you have lost one or both parts you can still use this application
    * enclose a cheque or postal order for £20.00 - no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over
  3. Most people think the licence is for life without realising the photo has to be renewed every 10 years, it's another stealth tax from the one eyed muppet and his cohorts.
  4. s99(2)(A) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 made expiring licences the law (even though they weren't actually introduced until 1998 by the "The Driving Licences (Community Driving Licence) Regulations 1998" - following an EU Directive - 96/47/EC). I suspect you would be being actually done under an older Road Traffic Act that made having an invalid licence an offence.

Edited to add - it is actually s87(1) of the same Act - not that it was a completely new crime. 3-6 penalty points and up to a £1000 fine.
  5. What, they've changed the licence? :?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Read the thread "DVLA Con" Gordon has got to get all that money he gave the banks somehow,
    My record in the last month
    £40 for failing to chase up a letter
    £185 for new tax disc that they managed to "Loose in the post"
    £185 for replace ment Tax disc
    Numerious phone calls trying to get the money back in the end I went to the DVLA and they paid up without problem but only when I showed up in person
  7. If you don't want to pay the money you could always write them a note saying you're not going to drive saving you £20, sell your car - more cash, and think of the fuel savings!

I'd just get 4 passport photos, send one off with your application then in ten years time send the same photo again, ten years time do the same; that'll show them how shoite their system is :)
  8. :clap:
  9. You must be the unluckiest person in the world.

If anything can go wrong it will happen to you.

In fact why don't you do us all a favour and move to Bridgend?
  10. Mine was due up I did however have my old address on it did change of address on line new licance came with another ren years on it cost to me sod all