Finding out the REAL Walts

Discussion in 'Officers' started by very-old-git, Aug 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Working in an ex service charity, I often meet other volunteers who mention that they ex SF or similar -needless to say most are politely ignored and left to one side. But one who is joining us soon has stated that he has been awarded the MM whilst serving with 'The Regiment' but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have a WALT in the camp. Naturally I do not want to confront him and cause alarm, dismay and a punch in the mouth--so is there a definitive list of the recipients of this medal that I may check against ? I have looked through The London Gazette for hours on line without success .
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

V-O-G, I am in the same boat with a guy claiming an MM, and I have had no luck verifying it. His is not claimed for SF service, but with Para Regt.

If I find out how, I will let you know.

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Can't you ask Glasgow? If they're retired I think the records go up there (if they ever weren't). They might be able to confirm an MM but not the SF bit, though a conversation you may be able to read between the lines - a civi employer did a CV check for me once and too my suprise got all the details they required from Glasgow. I spoke with them on this and one of the comments made was they can get anyones details unless they were SAS or similar in which case they were 'locked' but in itself I judge that as a likely indication...

You could also of course PM me with the details (Name, Sqn, dates, MM date (estimates are fine)) and I can run it past a now-on-the-circuit ex-22 WO2 mate.
  4. Is it not on the MOD website for non-SF awards or veterans agency or such like? Obviously a bit harder to find if SF

5. He claims that he was awarded the MM and other meritorious awards some time ago 1970's or 80's ? when a 'ranker'. MOD site only covers recent awards. Veterans Agency, MOD, Girl Guides etc claim cannot help due to 'Freedom of Info ', Personal Freedom etc.
  6. Look in the london gazeete archives, it will be their, if sf its under usually their old regiment. Also look for a book called honours and awards of the british army (ulster, falklands and other campaigns)
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

In defence of the walt, we've an old alchoholic security guard (civ type) who, in between the shakes, likes to raise the barrier and give visitors a hard time. At a formal do he attended (rather than stagging on) and I have to admit was a little suprised by one of his gongs (surprised he'd ever served actually) a little background checking (official enquiry by the CO) revealed he was in fact ex SBS and he did have the MM. Which is fairly cool, if a little sad when you see him now.

Anyway, 30 years of civi st can do strange things to a warrior....

You could always just ask to see the citation to admire it, though he may have to kill you afterwards.
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

9. not sure if it hereps, but here is a link to the gazzette from 82 onwards listing all the Military Medals.
  10. VOG - I believe that there is a Military Medal association, which IIRC Lord Archer of Waltington on Sea was the patron of. They would perhaps be able to help out.

One of the waltfinder's top tips is to ask if you can look at the decoration "never having seen one up close before" and then check for engraving on the rim. While this is never conclusive, you may be surprised to find that this MM is Sapper X or Bombardier Y's and not your own Walt's! Attention to detail gets Walts every time!
  11. VOG send in the SSAFA Pink form to records for details of service!
  12. If your potential Walt admits to his original Regt check with the Regtl Association plus the SAS/SBS Associations. I am sure they will be happy to out anyone claiming medals to which they are not entitled. My own association frequently outs such types.
  13. Does he actually wear the medal or does he just claim to "have it". (he's not ex marines and now in the TA is he?)
  14. Similar tale to Mr Happy. An old bloke at the Farter-in-Law's club claimed to be SAS during the war (and decorated). Everyone took the p1ss and ignored him. I then found his picture and a good write up in Paddy Blair Maine's biography. Laugh? Few things made me happier.
  15. Ask him to bring in his latest copy of "Mars and Minerva".

If he is legit he should have it.