Finding out National Insurance Number (from late 1960s)

I chap I know is looking for his national insurance number from when he was working in the UK in the late 1960s.

I found this form but he would only remember maybe one address and have approx dates, will they still be able to find it?

Try here:
HM Revenue & Customs: Applying for a National Insurance number
There's a form CA 5403 here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca5403.pdf

If he actually registered with what was the DHSS or Inland Revenue they should find it with no problems.
If he was only temping, or doing casual work, his employer might have got a bit lazy, and issued a Temporary Number for the Wages staff to use.
They take the form TN [date of birth (ddmmyy)], and M or F for Male or Female.
For example: TN 010265 M

Any NIC he would have paid under a TN would be lying on the files unallocated, as they don't usually get mated up to the NI account until someone asks.

My work here is done....(Shuffles off in a cloud of dust and dandruff)

I have a friend whose 88-year-old aunt is a surgeon still working in India, and who has done throughout the pandemic. She is trying to gain access to her pension from working for the NHS in the UK from 1962-1972, but despite filling in the form you suggested, they can't find her.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Minnie

@MinnieBannister, Bit of a long shot, but she could contact the BMA to see if they still have a record of her. Unlikely that the Hospital(s) she worked in will still have a record.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
I have a friend whose 88-year-old aunt is a surgeon still working in India, and who has done throughout the pandemic. She is trying to gain access to her pension from working for the NHS in the UK from 1962-1972, but despite filling in the form you suggested, they can't find her.

Thanks,

Minnie
Here are a couple of "starters for ten" years, assuming that these are not the routes which have been tried:

The General Medical Council, which presumably held this selfless lady's original registration, may also prove helpful, and a "cross fix" with Trace lost pensions and request pension forecasts should also be considered, noting the ten year period concerned, plus add on for the years since reaching pensionable age.

Jack

Thanks,

Minnie
Apart from trying to work backwards through NHS records, if the person is Indian, or has changed their name on marriage, it may be the case that the name has been spelt differently.
I have seen cases where people from the sub continent have had multiple variations of naming on official documents, often phonetic variations, where a clerk or civil servant has written what they heard.