Finding my old medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by PrinceAlbert, Oct 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had my gongs stolen about 10 years ago. I managed to get a couple replaced for free, but I also had to pay the medal office for a couple.

It's always gripped my shit, knowing that some scroat out there stole them, and probably flogged them on somewhere.

As I have nothing better to do, I am going to see if I can find them...........

.......any ideas as where to start the search?

I enter my regi number into google every once in a while to see if it finds anything, with no joy. Any help appreciated.

2. Prince,

You could try [www.British Medals Forum.com[/url] they are pretty good at tracing lost and stolen medals.

Also try obtaining a copy of Medal News. They have a section where you can leave details of stolen medals and their readership keep an eye out for them.

Both routes are woth a shot IMHO.

Good luck

3. Cheers, will have a look

4. Dear Prince Albert, saw your message and plight. Can suggest you register with the medal forum British Medals Forum • Index page
    This is a forum for medal collectors. and your medals could well lie in somebody's colelction. Also there is a magazine called Medal Collector newshttp://www.tokenpublishing.com/. They have a section called medal tracker. They also have a notification piece about medals which were stolen. You could announce that you are looking for yur stolen medals. If a collector has them, a monetary reward may be needed to entice their return to you. Hope this helps a little.

5. You beat me to it rockape!!!!!

6. Thanks, will have a look right now

7. if they are stolen and can be proved to be stolen they still belong to Prince Albert and the police will eventually return them to him if he has a crime number etc the collector then has to chase the person he got the medals from for his money back and so on down the chain till the first person to purchase them from the theif dips out 99.9% of the guys on the British Medal Forum would be horrified to find out they had stolen medals in there collections and would return them (I know I would if I was provided with a crime number and police contact details so the cozzers could chase the person i got them off to track the theiving scumbag down)

8. how many people actually look in the Medal Tracker to see if any medals they find are pinched?

9. dont know but its more hassle than its worth to be in posetion of stolen goods so every now and then I have a gander but i dont collect modern medals much mainly medals to family names are my theme so i dont have a huge collection