• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Finding missing people - thoughts on how easy it is to drop off the grid.

Good to read the OP had a nice result.
I think that in the UK, if someone wants to live anonymously and "off grid", success can depend on how hard the authorities are looking for them.

If true - that is really shocking. That has the word 'abuse' written all over it.

Yes, we turn a blind eye to some 4000 untraceable by the authorities children. Abuse? thats what the charities think too. A fair proportion and known to to removed to forced marriages outside the UK, but that still leaves a substantial number that are missing and not one knows whats happened to them, although this case explains some of the missing

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-...d-subjected-her-to-years-of-abuse-are-jailed/

My sister is glued to her phone 24/7

Try and get in touch with her..........**** all response

She rings me..............she wants something

More seriously, I was amongst the last few people to see a young man who disappeared what is now nearing 20 years ago. I simply had a conversation with him in a chip shop which was recorded on TV and eventually shown on Crimewatch. I’ve had several police interviews over the years. Edited to add; this was long before social media; back then we made firm commitments to be somewhere and people got sorted when we didn’t show up. It must be massively hard to literally lose a loved one.
Isle of Wight by any chance?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
In the Great Marxist Tomorrow when your body is the property of the State (about to happen re organ donation) everyone will be implanted with a GPS transponder chip at birth also carrying NI number and dob etc and this Capitalist weakness will go away as the Great Government Computer will be tracking you 24/7..

In the Great Marxist Tomorrow when your body is the property of the State (about to happen re organ donation) everyone will be implanted with a GPS transponder chip at birth also carrying NI number and dob etc and this Capitalist weakness will go away as the Great Government Computer will be tracking you 24/7..
I think the organ donation thing is a good idea - as many of us would not like to think about "in the event of suddenly kicking the bucket - you can use my organs for transplantation and/or medical experimentation and/or a mixed grill" thing.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I am a registered organ donor but the new arrangement would make we want to opt out.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I am a registered organ donor but the new arrangement would make we want to opt out.
I live in Wales and opted out of presumed consent.
I find it offensive that the government feels entitled to help itself to my corpse.

Her indoors knows which bits I am happy to donate upon my demise but donation will be offered, not presumed.

Because, as I posted before, it's my body, not the State's.
So at the moment you want bits of your body to be used to save other people when you die.

However, if the government change the system from opting in to organ donation to opting out, a change that will not affect you in any way whatsoever, you're fine with people needing a transplant dying that you would otherwise have saved?

It does come across as a bit petty.

I'm not sure about the "Great Marxist Tomorrow", the proposed organ donation arrangements seem to me to epitomise the worst of capitalism - cherry pick the profitable bits and leave someone else to dispose of the remains.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
andjust what are you going to do about it if they take a few bits and pieces then?

I think the organ donation thing is a good idea - as many of us would not like to think about "in the event of suddenly kicking the bucket - you can use my organs for transplantation and/or medical experimentation and/or a mixed grill" thing.
I could not agree more.

The Spanish are world leaders in organ donation, and have been for years; they were amongst the first nations in the world to adopt 'presumption of consent' legislation (1979 the legislation was enacted).

From c2000 donations per year, in excess of 5000 transplants can be achieved. Think about that; 5000 people, per year, with hugely increased life and outcome chances. To deny even one of these people a chance at a better life, because you don't like a piece of legislation that won't affect you in the slightest when you're strumming a harp - well, f**k me, I really don't know where to start.

So at the moment you want bits of your body to be used to save other people when you die.

However, if the government change the system from opting in to organ donation to opting out, a change that will not affect you in any way whatsoever, you're fine with people needing a transplant dying that you would otherwise have saved?

It does come across as a bit petty.
A BIT petty? It comes across as slightly more petty than the old lady in my local supermarket who turns her shopping bags inside out in order to deny Waitrose free advertising, and makes a very loud show of telling the 17yr old lass working the till that she's doing so. Stickin' it to da man, I tell ya.

My sister is glued to her phone 24/7

Try and get in touch with her..........**** all response

She rings me..............she wants something
At least if she goes missing, you can track her in real time from the phone records