finding an old friends grave

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bloody_11th, Feb 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok coming up to the anniverary of an old friends death was unable to go to his funeral how can i locate his grave in a military cemetry to pay my respects

2. Via the Commonwealth War Graves website or via his regiment / corps HQ

3. Couldn't have been that much of a friend if you don't know where he's buried.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well that certainly won't be an issue for you, given the number of friends you have (not).

5. The Commonwelth War Graves Commission website is here:

:: CWGC ::

Select the first menu option, "Search Our Records".

Hope this helps.

6. Well, as you've already got one foot in the grave me coffin dodgin' old mate....I reckon we'll find out how popular you are beforehand. I've got a fiver on you 'departing' this year.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well I haven't planned a holiday this year, but if you want to send me the fiver then fine.

8. I think you earn plenty outside Waverley Station, Jock...."Huvyegoattenpencefurracuppatea, pahl?"

9. i was away from country when he was buried i asked for help i didnt post this in naffi so **** off

10. I'm assuming that your friend's death was post-1947 and also you mention a military cemetery (as opposed to a war cemetery) so CWGC are unlikely to be a factor in this.

Two options are,
    Check out the National Roll of Honour, as he died in service, he would be on it and it will give place of burial.

Link AFM Start Page

or failing that, email the Joint Casualty & Compassionate Centre who are responsible for recording post-1947 deaths.

at jccc@spva.mod.uk
    but they are likely to require as much detail as possible.

Hope it helps, let's know if it works out.

11. Thankyou a trip to plymouth is now due soon help most appreciated