Finbar saunders

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by boilinthebag, Nov 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats the crack with SNCOs thinking that they have mastered the english language?? Not having ago at SNCOs here but we have a couple that think that because they have got there third up they no longer have to speak in there council estate drones, but have to try and use "then big words what the ruperts use" without actually having a fcuking clue what they mean.

I seem to remember a certain SNCO briefing us up before a dinner night a while ago , when the RSM asked for any points from the mess fund manager he came out with the double entendre "Gentleman please lets have a good dinner night, make sure that you drink your drinks in modification and lets not have any haggling when the speaches are on" . The unfortunate SNCO got laughed out of our mess.

The same bloke a couple of weeks later asked for "A body of small men to clean the weapons as they are a bit groggy!! " on a Squadron O GP, i dont think he actually lived that one down.

Awaiting grief from SNCOs or amusing stories of people trying to use massive words for the wrong reasons.

2. Oi kaant imajin whaat yaa mean! Havya an eggsample handy there!

MsG

3. erm... not quite a "double entedre" is it??!! I guess the word you were looking for is "malopropism"

Tiff - ex-SNCO

4. Touche! Nicely done. :D

5. (takes a bow and puts one in the barrel for DD)

6. Ill get my coat.

7. "thinking that they have mastered the English language?"

"Hello Kettle this is Pot. You are black. K"

8. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I'll enter into the spirit of things, anyway.

Nutter, WO2 in Aldershot in the mid 80s (formerly a WO1 but achieved negitive promotion after attempting to headbut a GSM at a mess function), became the unit fire officer.

On Nutter's fire bloke course, which I assume was mainly populated by young subbies, they taught Nutter to use big words such as oxygen, combustion, and ingress.

For months after this Nutter would walk round setting off fire alarms and lecturing departments about closing windows to "prevent the hingress of hoxygin"

A few months later, when his GSM related scars had healed and he had his scrambled egg returned he informed us one day that we could do course revision on the football field as "Hit his nice wevver" and that we should "scrim up to havoid being perused biy the Commandant"

A masterful slaughtering of the English language.

9. Strange how I can hear WO2 Nutter speaking with voice of Delboy Trotter!!

10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

How did you guess he was a Londoner? :D