Financial reward incentive for Royal Marines

I read a few years ago that the S.B.S. was virtually wiped out because the North Sea Oil Rig Companies were offering crazy money for such experienced Divers.

Still, the question remains as to why are the R.M. are losing so many people each year upon year? Also why are they only now offering Cash Incentives for men to stay on?

I appreciate your reply though.
For that matter, what is the rate of turnover for an Infantry Regiment? I heard a few years ago that it was nearly 100% over a 3 year cycle. The problem is, harshly, that soldiering is a young mans game and you eventually feel that there are easier ways of making your money - especially when you get hitched and a couple of sprogs come along. At RM Poole, the Sergeants Mess had over 100 members Monday to Friday lunchtime and on a weekend you would be lucky to find half a dozen. To aid retention, the RM (and the RN) were able to borrow £1000 off the Andrew to put a deposit down on a house, providing they paid it back in their last 10 years, which was a massive incentive to stay in, especially after the 12 year point when you are looking towards a pension after 22. I have been out a long time and have no idea if this incentive is still available.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
For that matter, what is the rate of turnover for an Infantry Regiment? I heard a few years ago that it was nearly 100% over a 3 year cycle. The problem is, harshly, that soldiering is a young mans game and you eventually feel that there are easier ways of making your money - especially when you get hitched and a couple of sprogs come along. At RM Poole, the Sergeants Mess had over 100 members Monday to Friday lunchtime and on a weekend you would be lucky to find half a dozen. To aid retention, the RM (and the RN) were able to borrow £1000 off the Andrew to put a deposit down on a house, providing they paid it back in their last 10 years, which was a massive incentive to stay in, especially after the 12 year point when you are looking towards a pension after 22. I have been out a long time and have no idea if this incentive is still available.
There is much truth/fact in what you have written.

I remember back in 1985 a Corporal that l once knew who had to buy himself out of the Army because his wife was angry because he couldn't make Sergeant.

I appreciate your feedback.

There is much truth/fact in what you have written.

I remember back in 1985 a Corporal that l once knew who had to buy himself out of the Army because his wife was angry because he couldn't make Sergeant.

I appreciate your feedback.
Not that Pads wives are ones to 'wear' their husbands rank.

arcticfox042

War Hero
I was on a CQB Instructors course at Poole mid 90's and one of the SB lads was leaving to go back to his old job of painting pylons in N.I. Evan with his SF pay he said it was still not enough to stay....

I was on a CQB Instructors course at Poole mid 90's and one of the SB lads was leaving to go back to his old job of painting pylons in N.I. Evan with his SF pay he said it was still not enough to stay....
SF pay isn't popstar wages, so I'd be surprised if that was the motivation for anyone to stay.

I read a few years ago that the S.B.S. was virtually wiped out because the North Sea Oil Rig Companies were offering crazy money for such experienced Divers.

Still, the question remains as to why are the R.M. are losing so many people each year upon year? Also why are they only now offering Cash Incentives for men to stay on?

I appreciate your reply though.
Back in the earky seventies they were even recruiting experienced BSAC Sub Aqua divers. Until they realised it was better to train an Engineer to dive, then train a Diver to be an Engineer. Diving was just a means of getting to the worksite. Its what you do there is what you are paid for. Its just a working site under the water.

Last edited:
Some of them were alledgedly supplementing their pay with a bit of international drug smuggling as well until Customs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Drugs trial collapses.

Coming from a place of ignorance here so go easy on me but do the Paras have similar problems with retention too? As I understand it the Paras and Marines are broadly similar so it would be interesting to know if the Paras are suffering with similar retention issues or if it's purely a marines thing

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Coming from a place of ignorance here so go easy on me but do the Paras have similar problems with retention too? As I understand it the Paras and Marines are broadly similar so it would be interesting to know if the Paras are suffering with similar retention issues or if it's purely a marines thing
Yes l believe so.

Last edited:

Latest Threads