Financial reward incentive for Royal Marines

arcticfox042

War Hero
New rig, stacks of beer tokens, life's good.................. Get back on the gate pongos........

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 20.47.17.png

arcticfox042

War Hero
But they don't have the shame of being pretend sailors pretending to be soldiers.

******* Pugwash.
barrier up.......barrier down...... Royals off ashore in his new car.........
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 21.03.31.png

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Why now though?

I understand that the R.M. have long had a problem with it's people leaving in large numbers, (not counting the wastage in Basic Training).

Type 66

Old-Salt
I think the RM are having a problem with retention, my son is leaving in October after having only served 4.5 years. I have asked him why and he has said that when on camp they do not do anything and obviously the money is not good. When he was younger i used to take him on my RAF camp to do circuits at lunch time, i have asked if he does the same on his camp and the answer is no the PTI's don't do it. Reminds me of when i was in the Infantry, if there was not a training programme going the blokes were horizontal on their beds that was 1980, seems some things have not changed. Disappointing to say the least.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
I think the RM are having a problem with retention, my son is leaving in October after having only served 4.5 years. I have asked him why and he has said that when on camp they do not do anything and obviously the money is not good. When he was younger i used to take him on my RAF camp to do circuits at lunch time, i have asked if he does the same on his camp and the answer is no the PTI's don't do it. Reminds me of when i was in the Infantry, if there was not a training programme going the blokes were horizontal on their beds! Disappointing.
As l just said, the R.M. seem to have long had a problem with retention.

I am sorry to read that your son wants out.

Type 66

Old-Salt
As l just said, the R.M. seem to have long had a problem with retention.

I am sorry to read that your son wants out.
I am so disappointed for the lost opportunity of personal development, promotion and of course a great little pension. I have tried to explain to him that service life is very rich in opportunity compared with being a self employed civilian with very little personal development, promotion and pension. And of course annual leave as a self employed civvy....no pay! I don't know.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
I am so disappointed for the lost opportunity of personal development, promotion and of course a great little pension. I have tried to explain to him that service life is very rich in opportunity compared with being a self employed civilian with very little personal development, promotion and pension. And of course annual leave as a self employed civvy....no pay! I don't know.
It is no mean feat qualifying as an R.M.C.
Seems to be such a waste.

Maybe a little time in civy street when he finds that the grass is not greener, he may regret it and re-enlist. Encourage him to join the RMR about six months to a year after he has left. He will be able to compare the two lifestyles and decide which is best. Probably easier to return to full time service as well as he can keep his skills current.

What has he got lined up in civy street?

Maybe a little time in civy street when he finds that the grass is not greener, he may regret it and re-enlist. Encourage him to join the RMR about six months to a year after he has left. He will be able to compare the two lifestyles and decide which is best. Probably easier to return to full time service as well as he can keep his skills current.

What has he got lined up in civy street?
My kid was RM for a slack handful of years, got out a while back and into gas and oil drilling making big bucks, then moved into self employed building work before the North Sea price collapse.

Still making good money, sees his kids every night and loving it.

No doubt he secretly misses the fcukaround factor of HMF.

Why now though?

I understand that the R.M. have long had a problem with it's people leaving in large numbers, (not counting the wastage in Basic Training).
When I was with (not in) Royal in the 1970s, just when North Sea oil was ramping up, it was a regular occurance on Swimmer/Canoeist courses that an oil company would get a heads-up as to when and where the end of course PU was taking place, turn up at the pub, get the wets in and make highly paid job offers to all and sundry. They lost a lot of good people that way.

Another way of retaining people in RM was to offer senior NCOs in their last couple of years a 5 year extension (what they called a fifth five). This could be self defeating, as a lot of RM trade branches are very small - when I was at Poole, the carpenter WO2 got a fifth 5 and effectively stopped all promotion in his branch for 5 years.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
When I was with (not in) Royal in the 1970s, just when North Sea oil was ramping up, it was a regular occurance on Swimmer/Canoeist courses that an oil company would get a heads-up as to when and where the end of course PU was taking place, turn up at the pub, get the wets in and make highly paid job offers to all and sundry. They lost a lot of good people that way.

Another way of retaining people in RM was to offer senior NCOs in their last couple of years a 5 year extension (what they called a fifth five). This could be self defeating, as a lot of RM trade branches are very small - when I was at Poole, the carpenter WO2 got a fifth 5 and effectively stopped all promotion in his branch for 5 years.
I read a few years ago that the S.B.S. was virtually wiped out because the North Sea Oil Rig Companies were offering crazy money for such experienced Divers.

Still, the question remains as to why are the R.M. are losing so many people each year upon year? Also why are they only now offering Cash Incentives for men to stay on?

I appreciate your reply though.

Latest Threads