Financial reward incentive for Royal Marines

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yet another reason Her Majesty’s Corps of Royal Marines is tap dancing on top of the world.
The RNTM released today details how much extra dough they’ll be sending our way in the form of an FRI.

The FRI is available to Regulars only.

a. £10,000 for a 2-yr Return of service
b. £15,000 for 3-yr Return of service
c. £20,000 for 4-yr Return of servibe

Cha Ching....... sorry perc. Anyone fancy transferring over and smashing CTC?

Only 5 grand a year? I suppose it helps with the Louboutains, Jimmy Choos and Agent Provocateur gear, but it won’t cover it all.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
fair enough, will they be allowed to bank it tax free for when they leave?

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
Only 5 grand a year? I suppose it helps with the Louboutains, Jimmy Choos and Agent Provocateur gear, but it won’t cover it all.
It is a lump sum for whatever RoS you elect for. If you gib out prior to completing the RoS you must pay back what is owed. If you cannot complete the RoS a RM BM/CM Military Judgement Panel will make a recommendation to DBS Mil Pers Recoveries and Write Offs for a decision on repayment.

It is a lump sum for whatever RoS you elect for. If you gib out prior to completing the RoS you must pay back what is owed. If you cannot complete the RoS a RM BM/CM Military Judgement Panel will make a recommendation to DBS Mil Pers Recoveries and Write Offs for a decision on repayment.
Well that’s not much use when you’ve spent it all on Cervins :)

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
fair enough, will they be allowed to bank it tax free for when they leave?
No it is paid into your account once your submission is accepted. Statement of Eligibility and Election application form is on the intranet now.

I’ll be issued new kit, new weapon system (C8 & sig roll out in Jan 2021) more opportunities to deploy overseas on ex & deployment (USA, Oz, Norway, Belize, Mali, Senegal all already in the diary the Corps for the coming year) we are all in Slam accom here and you can apply to have 20 grand dropped into your bank account.

Pays to be a winner perc.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
So why not just pay at the end of 12 months? Once you’ve actually had the return? If someone cannot complete due to service injury they should get the lot.

No it is paid into your account once your submission is accepted. Statement of Eligibility and Election application form is on the intranet now.

I’ll be issued new kit, new weapon system (C8 & sig roll out in Jan 2021) more opportunities to deploy overseas on ex & deployment (USA, Oz, Norway, Belize, Mali, Senegal all already in the diary the Corps for the coming year) we are all in Slam accom here and you can apply to have 20 grand dropped into your bank account.

You appear to be missing the point. The MOD does not give money away (standfast BAE). It pays out when it has no alternative. In this case, because it can neither recruit nor retain RM in sufficient numbers. Pinch point trades have had FRIs for years, and even 20 years ago, the Army was paying everyone money to commit to 5 or 8 years. You’re not getting the money because the MOD thinks the RM are a bunch of good lads and deserve it. You’re getting it because they want to retain the capability and don’t have the numbers to do so sustainably.

The matter for the RM at hand is to consider why this is, and change it for the better.

Indeed it does pay to be a winner.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
You appear to be missing the point. The MOD does not give money away (standfast BAE). It pays out when it has no alternative. In this case, because it can neither recruit nor retain RM in sufficient numbers. Pinch point trades have had FRIs for years, and even 20 years ago, the Army was paying everyone money to commit to 5 or 8 years. You’re not getting the money because the MOD thinks the RM are a bunch of good lads and deserve it. You’re getting it because they want to retain the capability and don’t have the numbers to do so sustainably.

The matter for the RM at hand is to consider why this is, and change it for the better.

Indeed it does pay to be a winner.
Unless they intend spending the defence budget on higher wages for Royals (unlikely), the only other likely option that springs to mind is to keep pouring money into the recruiting colander to try to keep pace with the outflow.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Golden handcuffs to go with your little black number. Nice one, Royal.

(I can hear my ex-RM Dad spinning in his grave as I type that)

Joking aside, if this does the job in keeping experienced Royals in and motivated, then it's a relatively small price to pay vs the cost of recruitment and training.

How much will you spend on egg banjos?

£16,000.00

Less than £16000. They hit you for NI as well. It was very painful to see my £40,000 FRI become just over £23,000 after tax and NI. What the MOD gives with one hand the taxman takes back with another.
Someone would have to be thick as pigshit to think they'd get the whole lot in their skyrocket.

Oh, hang on...

Seriously though.
Who in their right mind would want to be a Marine. (Royal Navy Security Guard).

Why would you want to wear a beret in the same shade of Green as a Cabbage, or is this a combat indicator of the intelligence of the wearer.

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential.

Latest Threads