Financial Mediation for Divorce

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Wishful_Thinking, Jul 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,

Currently looking at starting this procedure. Has anyone been down this route during their divorce? If so, do you have any good advice to share please.

Thank you.

Wishy

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Pm in bound flagrantly touting for business!

3. My only advice is no matter how you do it do it as early on as possible - it hurts no matter when you do it but slightly less if it is not 5 years down the line like mine was (another 5 years worth of pension shared!!!)

4. I can't offer any advice except for "well done you, it's about time you divorced the loser" :)

5. Prince Albert - thank you so much, that brought a huge grin to my face. For a while now you have been a great mate, we don't chat as much as we used to, but its always lovely when we do.

BiscuitsAB - thanks for the PM. Will reply shortly.

AFA06 (also for BiscuitsAB) - we separated in Aug 2008. We have always agreed that the money will go 50/50 as the marriage was 20 years and nearly the whole of his Army career. Please note I'm not a 'money grabber' etc. We both want what is just and fair. We don't argue over cash and he's been good enough to give me the whole of his monthly pension to cover the mortgage payments. I'm still in the family home with our schoolaged children.

We are now looking forward and not backwards to the days that have past between us. We've both been adults about the sad end to our marriage, in time we have both moved on and we need to get this process over and done with. We both don't wish to be sucked in to any arguments, but wish to come away without lining any solicitors pocket and keeping the money we have made together in our time as man and wife.

6. Check out your local relate office. They may provide this service at a cheaper cost than going through solicitors and the courts etc.

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Have you dealt with them? seriously mate!

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Excellent people behaving like grown ups. This should not be difficult to sort out between you and then you can present the plan to your individual solicitors (if your using them, you don't have to you know) if your both going to continue behaving in the manner which you have been so far you don't need solicitors for a divorce even in front of a judge.

9. BiscuitsAB - I honestly had no idea we could do that. That is exactly what we would like to do, organise it between ourselves with some professional help along the way. I will PM you.

10. We took the approach of agreeing want we wanted to do and then TELLING our solicitors to do what we wanted the outcome to be. It worked. My ex wavered a little at one stage because her man-loathing solicitor told her she could get a lot more, as did mine. I said to my wife: "See you in court, then". Reason prevailed, she told her witch to get on with it and everything went smoothly.

We are still friends and we made sure that the boy couldn't play one against the other during the teenage years.