Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Financial incentives for officer candidates (AR)

lextalionis

War hero
Hey, everyone.

I have been trying to find information on financial incentives for officer candidates in the Army Reserve. I had a booklet detailing some, but it is a little old and, I fear, out of date.

The incentives for ORs are helpfully clear. Have the incentives for would-be officers been eliminated?

Many thanks.

They have not, it's £5,000:

"Direct Entry Reserve Group A Junior Officers may elect to join the Reserve Commitment Bonus scheme. The scheme aims to improve retention of Reserve Group A Junior Officers and is worth a maximum of £5000, paid over 4 payments. The payment is linked to being on the strength at a Group A unit, the completion of Initial Officer Training, an E1 Junior Officer Training Course and achieving the annual Certificate of Efficiency Certificate."

How much is paid in each individual payment and when you get each of those 4 payments I don't know, that's all I have. I also don't know if that's included alongside or instead of the normal incentives (eg £300 to sign up, £1k to finish Phase 1 and £1k to finish Phase 2): I've been told the first two modules of the Reserve Commissioning Course count as Phase 1 and Phase 2 but I don't know if signing on to the £5k officer bonus scheme (which you have to sign on to prior to attending Sandhurst) excludes you from getting that £2.3k as well.

A bigger AR was part of the 'deal' that justified making 20k regulars redundant, as an assumption was some of that 20k would jump from regular to reserve. Oh, how we laughed. Afaik the regular Army is only 5k under recruited now and the genius of the plan above is now CDS.

A bigger AR was part of the 'deal' that justified making 20k regulars redundant, as an assumption was some of that 20k would jump from regular to reserve. Oh, how we laughed. Afaik the regular Army is only 5k under recruited now and the genius of the plan above is now CDS.
Was part of the problem that they only went looking for those ex-regs to go reserve after they had left?