Finally Phil the Greek says something that......

At the same time find and punish the useless bastards who closed the mines in the first place.
Yeah, we'll start with the bloke who was sent to close the first one in Maggies
Witch Hunt..........Cortonwood.

One the wind farms fully agree, even if you believe in AGW; the CO2 released building, installing and maintaining the wind farms probably exceeds the CO2 saved by their operation.

On coal, it was the miners in general and Scargill in particular who made them uneconomic and unreliable and so closed them. Fracking for natural gas is a much better option anyway.

T

trowel

One the wind farms fully agree, even if you believe in AGW; the CO2 released building, installing and maintaining the wind farms probably exceeds the CO2 saved by their operation.

On coal, it was the miners in general and Scargill in particular who made them uneconomic and unreliable and so closed them. Fracking for natural gas is a much better option anyway.
I don`t know enough about fracking to have an opinion, therefore I shall have to take your word on it. I do know that fracking has been known to, if not cause, encourage earthquakes.

They'll wait until Scargill is dead, can't have him saying 'I told you so'.
Scargill was one of the reasons they closed the mines. Him and that fact that UK coal was just to expensive to mine. Nothing has changed. In fact the way things are going with the economy we will all have to live in a coal mine to keep warm.

Except me, I will be quartered safe out here.

Thank fu .... ahh not the NAAFI. Thank goodness, I mean.

I don`t know enough about fracking to have an opinion, therefore I shall have to take your word on it. I do know that fracking has been known to, if not cause, encourage earthquakes.
'Go on earthquakes - have another go.'

'Fraid you're probably mistaken there.

Have you looked at the damage done by coal mine induced subsidence? Any messing around underground had potential effects on the surface. Fracking somewhere prone to earthquakes is probably a bad idea, however, the UK is not prone to earthquakes.

Hasn't fracking been shown to contaminate groundwater to the degree that water coming out of household taps can be set alight, or am I thinking of something else?

I think that AGW is pretty much undeniable if you look at the evidence agenda-free. I do see windfarms as being a bit of a white elephant though.

I am not sure that they where really uneconomic. The reasons for Maggie's assualt on them was more political than practical I think. The miners had brought a few governments down and caused incredible disruption to British society.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

They appeared uneconomical because they shifted coal from a mine to another one so it appeared it wasn't producing enough coal. We also have higher quality coal under our feet.

Have you looked at the damage done by coal mine induced subsidence? Any messing around underground had potential effects on the surface. Fracking somewhere prone to earthquakes is probably a bad idea, however, the UK is not prone to earthquakes.
Don't tell that to the useless cnuts who argue against Nuclear power, they pointed to Japan as an example of what can go wrong. Because the UK is prone to 8.6 earthquakes and Tsunamis.

On coal, it was the miners in general and Scargill in particular who made them uneconomic and unreliable and so closed them
That really is a very sweeping statement, Mate and I disagree with it.

Was it Scargill and the Miners who developed the Selby Coalfield and the
economic disaster that was the Asfordby Mine?

The Miners must shoulder some of the blame for going out on strike but
the decisions had already been made in Westminster, I am not a Scargill
supporter, nor was I a striking Miner but at least he knew what was about
to happen to the Industry.

All the false promises made to the UDM by Govt. were never kept and their
Mines (except one) were all closed in the end.

It appears that Colombian, Romanian and South African Coal is cheaper than
ours, although the oil content is far higher than UK Coal, we live with our
mistakes.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Hasn't fracking been shown to contaminate groundwater to the degree that water coming out of household taps can be set alight, or am I thinking of something else?
if you can set water alight, then chemically it's probably not water anymore. ;)