Finally on my way...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Extreme_D, Jun 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all...after numerous delays (mostly pathetically petty) I am finally 'involved' in the recruitment procedure to join the Army.

I have taken my BARB test and scored a respectable 75, my references have received their letters and have already filled them in. I now have to take my letter to my doctor (who is away right now - GRRRRRR) but don't see medical history being a problem.

I am now looking forward to having my physical test...with that naturally comes a massive increase in training in an attempt to make a good impression from the start. There's so much I want to do in the Army in terms of courses (I also want to do as well as possible in my chosen career - only get one chance at it after all) that I understand the importance of doing well right from the very start.

Does anybody have any tips with regards to training schedules and any particular exercises that may help when it comes to testing? Below is a list of what I currently do...the main problem is that I don't really know how much of each exercise to be doing, when to be doing it, how much rest is needed between exercises etc.

I currently swim 3-5 times per week for a minimum of an hour each time (non-stop), I go running in the mornings (not sure on distance as it's just a local park - will invest in a pedometer on Monday) and this week I am starting on a home training routine consisting of: chin-ups (doorframe bar), press ups (not great at them tbh), tricep dips, sit-ups, bicep curls (I only have 20kgs of weights though - again, more investment needed), tricep curls and bent over rows.

Current height: 191cm/6'3"

Current weight: 82kgs/13stone (ish)

All help, advice and criticism is invited.

David

2. Well done and good luck!!!

From the training you are doing you will find all the phys test a breeze, unless your looking at PPS?

Personally I'd do a bit of cycling and run longer sometimes....

You could put a bergen on once a week also and go for a walk...

Remember, don't over do it and put yourself out of the cycle!!!!

Do some runs without a watch on and just take it easy.

Good luck!!!!!

BB :lol:

3. Well done and good luck!!!

From the training you are doing you will find all the phys test a breeze, unless your looking at PPS?

Personally I'd do a bit of cycling and run longer sometimes....

You could put a bergen on once a week also and go for a walk...

Remember, don't over do it and put yourself out of the cycle!!!!

Do some runs without a watch on and just take it easy.

Good luck!!!!!

BB :lol:

4. From my (not very) experienced eye, that program seems pretty good actually.

All I can say is to do some sprint training if possible.

If you have a track nearby, run around it at an easy pace (maybe 50-60% of max) for a lap,
    then go balls out for one lap (90%), then have another recovery lap.

Then, as your level of fitness rises, just increase the number of laps you go at full pace.

You will see results if you stick at it.

UF

5. That all sounds fine, you're on the right track. As regards running, five miles is a fair target. You could work on your walking, to alleviate the boredom of it try LRPC (long-range pub crawl) I have a 20 mile route that takes in four country pubs, its a great way to spend an afternoon.
    Dont worry too much about the weights, just work on the press-ups, sit-ups etc as it can be a problem if your training regime is dependant on special equipment.

Good luck.

6. I would consider doing a bit of running with weight, just so you have an idea what to expect, but not to make it a major part of your programme!

Again, as a taster, do something in boots, walking and tabbing, just to get an idea and lessen the shock!

OS

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

A long long time ago, I got to take part in the RM Potentials weekend.

They send out a pre-training leaflet to folk headed that way.

One of the things that stuck in my mind is that back then, they advised people to do at least some of their running training wearing boots and a full track suit.

I'm not sure what the current H&S picture in the British Army is on boot runs. I know that the PTI's are ver' cautious about it because of the potential for long term damage.

A lot depends on what Arm you are joining ?

But I can almost guarantee that at some stage in your Basic, you'll find yourself running whilst wearing boots and CS95 ( rather than a T-shirt, shorts and trainers). If you do All Arms Cdo cse or P company it's a cert. Running away is , of course, a key skill in any soldier....in British Army parlance its called withdrawal in contact or fighting retreat....
    cf France 1940 Burma 1941 :wink:

If you've never run wearing full kit it comes as a bit of a shock to the system when some red-faced Staffy shouts
    " Six section - on me ! Fckin MOVE!! "

The marine pre-training advice sounds reasonable to me.

If you can run 10K in trainers, try doing a slow paced run of a mile and a half over a course which includes some offroad sections wearing boots.....and don't even THINK of suing me or ARRSE if you pop a ligament ! Feel free to disregard any of the above as the ravings of an unqualled Walt.....good luck mate.

Le Chevre
    London Marathon 2000/2002
    Umm Qasr 10K - 2003
    USMC Marathon 2002/2004
    Proteus Trg range - Final Assault Sep 04 :lol: