Finally had contact with my Local TA unit

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Soggyllama, Feb 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I've mentioned on here somewhere, I'm off to do the 'Day in the life' day on 27th Feb, I was told about this back in early to mid Jan. Not having had any contact since then I decided to ring them to see if we had any more details regarding times and location. What I found out is as follows;

We are meeting up at our local TA center in the morning (Time TBC)
    We then travel down to our local army barracks (Donnington, Telford) where we will experience what its like to join the TA. This will include Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups and sit ups) which will be assessed by the PTI. (All this is if they can get it arranged in the next 12 days, from there we do paperwork and given a date for the Selection Weekend.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this when applying to join the TA?

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Have they scheduled in a medical before this "day in the life"? You shouldn't be doing any form of fitness work until you have had a medical prior to doing the risk reduction run (RRR) on your TA Recruit Selection (TARS) weekend.

3. Thats what I would've thought, But the Medical is set for around the 5th of March. another thing is, I've not filled out ANY paperwork yet, not even seen the center face to face, only ever made contact via Email and Phone.

My best guess is if they dont have medical records then chances are the PTI session wont happen. As I said, They're still trying to get things arranged.

4. You would have thought wouldnt you. I dont know about these days but my unit only did medicals after selection, as the doc costs money. All those attending 'look at life' had to sign a waiver to the effect that they believed themselves to be reasonably fit and didnt expect to die during the weekend.....

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

All very wrong. I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find the instruction that details exactly how these things need to be done.

Trust me, if I could get away with it, I would. Processing applications for people who you know will never pass the RRR to the standard we need is time consuming and wasteful, be he have to do it rather than do a quick test run to filter them out.

Edit: Found it! It appears to be Bde specific, and centres around the uncertain value of waiver forms. Perhaps your brigade has taken a different view on it. I have shown the key sentence below:

"4. Until further notice I will instruct all 15 (NE) Bde UOTCs/TA
    units and the RTC to ensure no physical activity takes place prior to a
    Medical. "

6. Ok cool, well I have no intentions of croaking it so soon anyway so thats fine. Maybe its a cheaper way of letting Civvies see if they think they can 'hack it' before all the cost that goes into the whole TARS weekend, i'm not sure how much it is, but surely there must be a saving