Finally carried out a vow I made 36 years ago

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Flash MacTavish, Nov 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Slouched diagonally across the parade square, with my hands in my pockets. 176.jpg
    Buddy was mowing the grass across the street, he just looked over and shook his head, seems that it is a common thing at Cornwallis...

And yes, I know I'm a fat old fart, and light blue to boot.
    • Like Like x 11
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Sorry? Do what, where, and how? Your last transmission was garbled
    • Like Like x 1

sorry couldnt help myself
    • Like Like x 1
  4. why on arrse ARMY FFS!!!
  5. Just to annoy you perhaps?

At the time we were all in Rifle Green, if that makes you feel better.
  6. "GET ON THE HEEL YOU!!" Good work!
  7. Not the first time I've heard it...:biggrin:
  8. Respect. I know the feeling.
  9. Bastard, I've got all emotional now.
  10. You spent a few weeks there too?

I recognised most of the base, but a few buildings are gone it seems.
  11. No, but I've done something similar.
  12. How very RAF...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Posted the tale before, but:

Catterick 1987. A report came in of a man behaving suspiciously in a field of long grass where there were some old and narrow tarmac roads. The RMP went out to investigate and could see he was pacing around the area as if counting and searching.

So, they went to check him out. Turns out he had done his national service in the old camp there 30 years earlier and was trying to find where his bed-space and the NAAFI had been.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. fantastic...

In Hohne 86 we had some tarmac listed car park on the records but of course RHA made it a parade square with a brass gun on it. Occassionally some long haired Duchies would come over for a peek only for some red faced mad RSM to hang out of RHQ to scream at them..!

Was mad though, Óffrs and WOs could walk across it, the rest had to walk around. . . but it was essentially a car park made of tarmac... now i'm old and (wiser??) I look back with fondness and amazement that so much effort and waste of resource went into this piece of tarmac..

I remember a guy promoted to WO and said what a fantastic feeling it was to walk across it... I can get it - - but now I work in civvi street with tight budgets, profit loss accounts, resource optimisation etc all seems quite mad.