Final Type 45 destroyer sets off on maiden voyage

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Sep 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Nice to see MOD trying to put a positive spin on a programme that's been slashed from 14, to, we need 12 to do the job, to, look Minister, 8 is the very minimum we can get by with, to 6.
    Still, mustn't grumble, they tried to flog 5 & 6 to the Saudies, so we might have gotten only 4.

• Like Like x 4
  3. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

It was #7 and #8 they tried to sell to the Saudis - who remembered our battleship sales to Turkey a century ago and wisely said 'no', because they didn't like the odds of having the ships compulsorily purchased once it was obvious we needed more hulls.

I'd love to think we were actually working on that sort of cunning plan, but history and military knowledge aren't core skills these days...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

but I thought they were so good we only need the one to defend the entire island chain or secure the FI from the entire argy air force - so thats 5 spares then.

mind you in a few years they will have discovered some fatal flaw which means they wont be able to keep up with the underpowered fitted for planes carriers unless we pay for a total rebuild because someone didn't read the contract.

as I understand it via the NAO the build quality is a bit suss and the navy aren't happy

5. Duncan?

Doesn't inspire wariness does it?

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

More ARRSE ignorance. Adam Duncan was a 6'4" admiral (and a Scot) who won the battle of Camperdown against the Dutch in 1797, taking eleven of their ships and losing none of his own.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Well it is the Army Rumour Service, wouldnt you and Duncs be better off in the Rum Ration?

8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

No. They're a right bunch of oddities and wierdoes over there.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Several public houses, including one in Soho, London, a gay pub that was the scene of a terrorist bombing in 1999, perpetuate his name.

Hmm A ship named after a gay pub, says it all really

10. Bouillabaisse

What have you got against gay pubs? There has to be somewhere Guardsmen can get a beer and pick up a punter.

• Like Like x 2
  11. **** me, they've been recruiting for the ship's crew since 2010, and out of a needed 191, they have 70. That seems about one matelot every 10 days!

Which set of defence cuts cost the RN their press gangs?

12. Now he'd be hard pressed to defeat the Gosport Ferry Company.

13. Bouillabaisse

Why would he want to fight a key element of the RN's amphibious reserve?

• Like Like x 6
  14. None. It was the introduction of CRB checks that finally put paid to them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. What odds will you give me on: 'Wightlink - Official Sponsors of the Royal Navy' on the next OPV's?