Final Tour of Duty house move - Surprise service extension!

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by floppyjocky, Mar 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok Guys and Gals,

Hopefully someone can help out here. I am currently on my last tour of duty, aged over 37 on a period of continuance (3 years).

When I got posted here I took advantage of the final tour of duty package and moved the family up North to my own home, I claimed all the usual stuff incl legal fees, stamp duty etc. I am now living in SSSA 260 miles away from home.

I was due to leave next year (Dec 08), started resettlement etc.

I got a call last week offering a further period of continuance (to Dec 10) which included staying in post. It was also strongly hinted that in Jan 08 I was likely to be offered Versatile Engagement (VEng).

My questions are:

If I sign up for the further continuance will I be entitled to move my family back down South to a MQ ? Including removals/dist allce?

The same question really concerning VEng, will it mean I can just come back into the MQ system?

Obviously I'll keep the house up North but just rent it out, this leads me into another question, will I be liable to pay back all the costs I claimed when buying the house if I go into a quarter ?

I don't think I could manage another 4 years commuting at weekends, I miss my dog and daughter too much, it's been bad enough doing it for the last 18 months but was a necessary evil to get the family settled before leaving.

I'm sure there must be quite a few people facing this issue with other Corps opting for VEng etc. I'm guessing that each case will be looked at individually but would like steer on who to write to etc.

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated but facts positively welcomed!

Rgds

2. Mate dont know the answers. You need an Unit Admin bloke to sort you out
    try phoning Worthy Down if all else fails!

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My thoughts come from the cynical side of me!! Before you commit anything to paper make sure that you have something from the army. A phone call can be renaged on. However it does sound like they want you to stay in so that in itself is positive and maybe they will be more than willing to smooth the admin side to ensure you do stay in.

Hope it all goes well.

4. Thats what i like. Priorities! Not a mention of the wife!