Final Offer Letter - query about length of service in there.

My Son (nearly 18) has just had his final offer letter and it has in there this :

You must serve for at least 4 of the 12 years but you have the right after 3 years’ service to give 12 months’ notice to transfer to the Reserves for 6 years or the balance of your engagement, whichever is shorter.

At recruitment offices they only saiid that you have to serve a minimum of 4 years and nothing about having to transfer to the reserves.

He had planned for the 4 years in his head but is now concerned by potentially signing for a bigger commitment than what the recruitment office had told him.

Is the transfer to the reserves something that they will actually enforce ?

I have tried to reassure him that everything will be alright, so I am just looking for some sensible advice that I can pass onto him.

exbleep

On ROPS
On ROPs
The transfer to the reserves doesn't actually mean you have to join the AR. It simply means you need to keep them informed of your address in case of national emergency or war when you would be one of the first to be called up.
They can also call up someone on the reserve for 16 days a year if necessary.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
My Son (nearly 18) has just had his final offer letter and it has in there this :

You must serve for at least 4 of the 12 years but you have the right after 3 years’ service to give 12 months’ notice to transfer to the Reserves for 6 years or the balance of your engagement, whichever is shorter.

At recruitment offices they only saiid that you have to serve a minimum of 4 years and nothing about having to transfer to the reserves.

He had planned for the 4 years in his head but is now concerned by potentially signing for a bigger commitment than what the recruitment office had told him.

I have tried to reassure him that everything will be alright, so I am just looking for some sensible advice that I can pass onto him.
In that context it means he will remain on the Reserve List for the period, meaning he’ll receive letters every year asking for him to update his contact details and reminding him of his call out liability in times of “National Emergency”. It doesn’t mean he’ll be required to join the nearest Reserve (TA in old money) unit. After four years service he will not be entitled to any resettlement, that kicks in after 6 years service, which I always used as an incentive to those thinking of signing off when I was involved in Career Management.

Bollocks beaten to it by @exbleep

Thanks for the quick replies and explanation.

He seems to have settled down understood and signed it. Just about to get it emailed back :)

But we both feel that it could be worded better.

Thanks for the quick replies and explanation.

He seems to have settled down understood and signed it. Just about to get it emailed back :)

Ha ha ha ahaahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahaaaahahaaahhahhhah.......

Their game, their rules , and you can guess how concerned they are about what you two drama queens 'feel'.

FFS! Are we really this fecking desperate now?........ Don't answer that..

I didn't expect to get abused just by trying to clarify a question that had arisen from the letter, but then there's people who just feel better in themselves by trying to belittle others.

I didn't expect to get abused just by trying to clarify a question that had arisen from the letter, but then there's people who just feel better in themselves by trying to belittle others.
The poster you refer to has no association with the military whatsoever - I would just ignore it.

Good luck in training to your son.

He'll have had the service commitments explained to him at the careers office or whatever passes for human contact in the recruitment process now. You may need to explain to him the benefits of listening and asking questions as necessary. I hope he enjoys his time. I know I did. Having just left, well into my 3rd decade.

As others have explained, a transfer to the reserves is a notional concept which comes true in a national emergency.

I, for example, left the regulars after 22 years and was transferred to the Reserves. Almost two decades later nothing happened and I'm now far too old for anything beyond Pte Godfrey in Dad's Army. I recently binned the paperwork entitling me to a railway ticket and an advance of pay.

Thanks for all the responses.

He'll have had the service commitments explained to him at the careers office or whatever passes for human contact in the recruitment process now. You may need to explain to him the benefits of listening and asking questions as necessary. I hope he enjoys his time. I know I did. Having just left, well into my 3rd decade.
Probably a bit of that (not fully listening) to be honest ;) .
I have told him that there is never a stupid question, unless he keeps on asking the same thing.

Personally I think he will like it and do really well and this becomes a mute point in the future.

He had actually signed the letter before I showed him the initial responses to this thread. So just over 2 weeks before he joins

Thanks for all the responses.

Probably a bit of that (not fully listening) to be honest ;) .
I have told him that there is never a stupid question, unless he keeps on asking the same thing.

Personally I think he will like it and do really well and this becomes a mute point in the future.

He had actually signed the letter before I showed him the initial responses to this thread. So just over 2 weeks before he joins

Good luck to the lad and there's nothing wrong with asking questions, as you say.

an advance of pay.
Where'd you chuck that, Guv? Just asking for a friend, like. :?

As others have said being transferred to the Reserve force once one leaves the Regulars is SOP. It doesn't mean your son will necessarily have to join the TA (Old Style) but he will have to keep the Army advised of his contact details annually. In the event of national emergency, he will be subject to recall to the colours. Standard contract really. Our mob over here does the same thing.

Where'd you chuck that, Guv? Just asking for a friend, like. :?

As others have said being transferred to the Reserve force once one leaves the Regulars is SOP. It doesn't mean your son will necessarily have to join the TA (Old Style) but he will have to keep the Army advised of his contact details annually. In the event of national emergency, he will be subject to recall to the colours. Standard contract really. Our mob over here does the same thing.

Chuck it? I burnt it on a celebratory bonfire in the garden.

Ha ha ha ahaahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahaaaahahaaahhahhhah.......

Their game, their rules , and you can guess how concerned they are about what you two drama queens 'feel'.

FFS! Are we really this fecking desperate now?........ Don't answer that..
Green Jackets, as embarrassing as the Engineers, only stupider and fatter.