FINAL MEDICALS

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Jockster915, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for the HR Adminners out there.

PAM currently says that an individual's final medical must take place directly preceeding Terminal Leave and within 30 days of discharge date.

The Service Leavers Pack being issued to individuals states that they must have their final medical within the last 3 months of service.

Any ideas or indeed any takers?

Jockster

2. No surprise there one does not know what the other is doing, seems typical at the moment contradiction's all over the place :(

3. It seems that this question posed on 31 Jan 08 has stumped everyone! Surely somebody must know the DS solution?

Maybe the service leavers pack is mixing up the "pre-realease" medical with the "final realease" medical.

Anyone know?

4. Check a copy of the new Pulheems Administrative Pamphlet 2007, which I cant find a copy of right now.

I know the Final(or Release) Medical can be done upto 3 months after discharge, though its a pain in the arrse if its not done on or before the final day.
    Failure to get the final medical done can have an impact on the individuals pension. (I have no idea why or how, but that was the reason given by Glasgow when one of my ex patients refused to spend 5 mntues of his civilian life driving down the road to a five minute appointment)

5. Phantom thanks for that.

Now managed to get a hold of the Pamphlet and guess what:

Release Overseas. If being released overseas the Pre-Release Medical is to be completed at least 8 weeks prior to the date the individual is due to leave the unit. The Final Medical is to take place immediately prior to departure on terminal leave, if such leave has been authorised, or discharge.

So according to this we should fly someone back from Resettlement to attend a Final Med.

And JPAC continue to go against what the Pamphlet says!

Great love this job.

Jockster

6. I left to go on gardening leave (2 weeks) combined with 7 weeks IRP and 28 days terminal, also some annual leave thrown in, left 4 1/2 months early, had final medical and pre-release together, unit allowed it, no probs with pay and pensions, all down to good RCMO and pay office.

7. thats because you had the paperwork done to say that both pre release and final had been done, regardless of the dates done. The medicals are a set time apart for a good reason and should only be done on the same day with good cause, like in your case.

8. Right young man.................

A head, two arms, two legs...................

................. you are OK for discharge!

A1.... now get out! :?

9. Thats the final medical (provided you had that number of appendages on the pre release medical)

10. Is there any change to how long after you leave, you get your final medical?
    I left in early december and keep getting the run around by the civie receptionist, after sitting waiting for 45 minutes, I was told to come back on the 24th of this month.

Cheers in advance.

11. If you left in early December then you are no longer in the army therefore they are not responsible for your medical requirements.

12. They could not get my final medical sorted before I left, it was ment to be today but it is now later this month.

13. The last 2 months the dates kept getting changed untill they said they could not fit me in until Jan.
    I sat there today for 45 minutes before being told that there was a mix up and I am booked in for the 24th.
    The admin office said that this was acceptable as they have up to 3 months from my discharge to do my final medical.

14. I repeat:

If you left in early December then you are no longer in the army therefore they are not responsible for your medical requirements.

There's a reason I say this and that is they should no longer hold your medical documents. Extract from PAP 10 v3:

Assessment on Termination of Service

0604. Before termination of service all personnel are to be reassessed as follows and the assessment notified, published and recorded as in para 0603.

a. Termination of Service on Medical Grounds. The President of the Medical Board will complete FMed 23.

(1) Officers unfit for service on medical grounds/medically unfit for service under existing standards will be retired under The Promotions and Appointments Warrant 2009.

(2) Soldiers unfit for service on medical grounds will be discharged under QR para 9.386 or 9.387.

(3) Soldiers medically unfit for service under existing standards will be discharged under QR para 9.385.

(4) TA Officers unfit for service on medical grounds / medically unfit for service under existing standards will be retired under TA Regs Chapter 4, Part 9.

(5) TA Soldiers unfit for service / medically unfit for service under existing standards will be discharged under TA Regs Chapter 5, Part 6.

Note: In all cases the individual is to be informed as soon as the decision to invalid him/her is made.

b. Termination of Service other than on Medical Grounds. Commanding Officers are to refer personnel to
    a medical officer for assessment:

(1) On Normal Termination of Service.

(a) Pre-Release Medical. This is to be completed at least 8 weeks prior to the date the individual is due to leave the unit. For units in the UK this is 8 weeks before the date on which terminal leave begins, if such leave has been authorised, or discharge. For units overseas, this is 8 weeks before returning to a UK unit for commencement of release procedures (eg start of resettlement course and/or terminal leave). The medical officer will complete a FMed 1 and the resultant PULHHEEMS and JMES assessment is to be recorded on the electronic medical record and the JMES on the personnel record. This medical is to be carried out in theatre for personnel in units overseas. This is the last opportunity for referral to Full Medical Board in service.

(b) Final Medical. To take place immediately prior to departure on terminal leave, if such leave has been authorised, or discharge.

(c) Release Overseas. If being released overseas the Pre-Release Medical is to be completed at least 8 weeks prior to the date the individual is due to leave the unit. The Final Medical is to take place immediately prior to departure on terminal leave, if such leave has been authorised, or discharge.

(2) On Premature Termination of Service. Following receipt of the authority for termination.

(a) Where there is no alteration to an assessment, the MO is to complete the FMed 1, recording, in appropriate cases, the individual's fitness for Reserve service, this information is then forwarded to the officer commanding.

(b) Where an alteration to the assessment is necessary, a medical board is to be convened. The proceedings are to be endorsed 'Termination of Full Time Service' and disposed of in the usual manner.

(3) On Premature Termination of Service During Training. See Appendix 6.