Final British mission in Iraq in disarray

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Jun 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Deborah Haynes of The Times details the breakdown in negotiations that were to secure the remaining British mil presence in Iraq, post OP TELIC.

Interesing to see Deborah pick up on al-Malki's view of the British Government, following the growth of militias in the British AOR.

Now it may be more of a problem with the speed of the Iraqi legislature then outright objection to our presence / involvement. Isn't this another example of Gordon Brown grandstanding the drawdown of BRITFOR and reassuring the British people of the role (assisting further in the training of Iraqi SF) of those remaining, when he really wasn't in a position to make such a reassurance?

Either way, yet again BRITFOR are left in an embarrassing situation on the ground, and a British Prime Minister with his eye firmly off the ball.

2. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Fcuk 'em. Bunch of ungrateful ars.eholes. I hope someone blows up their oil platforms.

3. I can't say I'm really surprised, at the turn of events. Anything that Gormless Gordy has his sweaty hand in automatically turns to shite.

MsG

4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

The comment about al-Maliki seems that it could ring true to me:

He could well argue: "My own troops have proved more effective than yours in defeating the bad boys and restoring law and order in Basra, so what exactly is it that have you got to teach us? We'll stick with the Yanks, though - they take a more macho approach. Toodle pip!"

5. In our 'democratic system' the military takes direction from the government of the day. Need anything else be said?

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My bold. I thought that was the whole point! The Iraqi troops should be the ones policing Iraq. If they don't want us, fine, stop all aid though.

7. Would help if the Government of the day had any f**king direction to give.......

8. Might also be useful to have a government! Presently, we have the equivalent of a bunch of one-eyed cats fighting in a sack full of shi......

9. Not so sure that it is aid as such Auld-Yin. More the Iraqi government deciding that it doesn't want to get the monthly bill anymore.

10. Auld Yin

The Iraqis cannot defend the Oil Platforms themselves - not yet anyway.