films that make you want to puke,switch off or destroy telly

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by 2_Canadian_Beers, Mar 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We all know of great books or movies, but what books(s) have you read then found out thier was DVD, rented or bought it and been dispointed?

For me it would have to be Jack Higgins, The Eagle Has Landed

take care, 2 Canadian Beers

2. Patriot Games - Garbage.

3. Frederick Forsyth's 'The Fourth Protocol' was a reasonable book. The film was a shocker, despite the best efforts of Michael Caine, Pierce Brosnan, Ian Richardson and a host of other decent actors who could do nothing with the script.

4. Harrys game

The book was quite good, but then seeing it made into a film, with him wondering round in a donkey jacket and flairy 80's collars, even the hair cut of the terrorists was funny.

5. Sorry Sabre....but how old are you.............? Us older people wore that sort of stuff then!

Truly the training stage was a little BB but in the 70's and indeed into the early 80's people dressed in flairs.

As for the hair perhaps Mr Seymour is a talent not yet recognised in the 'Hair-Dressing' world after all your right, he is years in advance; after all who would wear hail like that?

6. congo. great book shite film

aliens vs preadator - good science fiction books, toss bag of a film

blackhawk down- great book, patriotic bullshit, we are whiter than white film

7. PTP: Patriot Games - I completely agree! The Hunt for Red October is the only Clancy book that's been dramatised that is as good as the book. Saying that, Clancy unfortunately got into the habit of writing 500 or so pages more than were necessary once he got past Cardinal of the Kremlin (a cracking book IMO!)

Archimedes: The Fourth Protocol - after seeing the film I had to re-read the book as I just knew it wasn't as shite as the film made it appear!

As for the book-to-film transition that really grips me... The Bourne Trilogy (well, the 2 out of 3 films made so far & I can't see the final one being any better). Whilst admitting that I don't mind seeing Matt Damon on screen for a couple of hours, I can only watch the films if I disassociate them from the intricately woven stories that Ludlum created. When I heard that the books were being made into films I was excited as there was so much potential for amazing films, but the characters, locations and plots haven't just been distorted but made completely unrecognisable. NOT impressed... :evil:

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Patriot Games and Clear & Present Danger were both disappointments though C&PD was a better attempt. Hunt for Red October was a fine attempt but a lot of Clancy's brilliance comes in explaining mechanical or backgrounds which movies just can't do unless a gruff General turns to the lead actor and says "explain to me how a bomb works"...

I haven't read "Master & Cmdr", "Harry Potter", "Lord Of The Rings", "Thin Read Line" but how were these as conversions? TRLine was SHITE.

9. Lord of the Rings.

All books have to be adapted if they are to make good films but if you're going to bugger about with Tolkien, you had better make sure your stuff is at least as good as his and Jackson failed dismally at this. Mind you, everything else about the films was excellent. Just the screenplay that was crap.

10. Harry Potter films are very good! :oops: :wink:

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The Story of O

Interesting book, silly movie.

12. I'll second that, and I'll even go as far as to say that the last one, which was much more of an adaptation than the others, I believe, was the best so far.

As for Master and Commander, it took outstanding writing and converted it into a mediocre action movie.

O'Brian and Tolkien are my favourite authors. Can you tell?

13. Terence Strong - Book "Whisper Who Dares" - Excellent book, as are all of Strong's then the film comes out....... "Who Dares Wins" - Not a bad film, if you havn't read the book first!

14. Bravo 20

'nuff said.

15. i agree with the bourne identity. The 1st 2 films havent got near the 1st book.
    I want to see rainbow 6 made into a really good film. The book is brilliant!