Films that define Xmas

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Markintime, Dec 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Christmas is not only a time of peace and goodwill to all man it is a time for the 'traditional' Christmas films. There are films that have defined my Christmas since I was a young lad, long before remote controls when one had to get the butler to change channel for one but, there again, there was only three to choose from. There are many programmes that define Christmas, usually Christmas Specials like Only Fools, Morecambe and Wise etc but to me it is the films that are shown on TV that really define Christmas.

Here are a few films that mean Christmas to me:

The Great Escape
    Ice Cold In Alex
    Zulu - (Sky Classics 14.40)
    A Bridge Too Far - (Sky Modern Greats 15.00)
    Mary Poppins
    The Sound of Music

Are there any other films that define Christmas for you? You don't have to like them, just associate them being on at Christmas.
  2. chitty chitty bang bang
    007 films (Moonraker)
    The Black Hole
    Ben Hur
  3. Hey dont forget earnest saves christmas! Pure quality
  4. 603 Squadron
  5. Have you ever noticed the red sports car in the background during the chariot race in Ben Hur?
  6. wasnt it a white van in the background at 1 point also?
  7. Charlton Heston wears a Rolex which can be seen in the chariot races.
  8. And vapour trails from a plane.
  9. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Die Hard quadrilogy. Well thats what Sky put on yesterday at midday.

I would say Star Wars. Used to be a mainstay, but it's (legendary) stock has diminished somewhat with the passing of time. A travesty, I agree.

As for the obligatory Bond, I was rather of the impression it had to be 'Octopussy', ITV (no sodding numers, just plain old ITV), circa 1530-1600, nicely timed to follow the Old dear's speech. That was the form, what.
  10. Zulu used to be on on New Years Eve every year

Just Starting now on Sky Classics Ch 308

Open another Herfy and settle back

Lt Jonathan Rouse Merriott Chard VC RE Commander Rorke's Drift

Hurrah for the CRE…… :D :D
  11. A Grand Day Out (Wallace & Gromit) has been on over several Christmases. I saw the latest one "A Matter of Loaf and Death" last night. It wasn't quite the same :(
  12. Watched Gettysburg on DVD for the first time yesterday, the skies above the Maine regiments HQ have vapour trails accross them, prusmably from Jeb Stewarts A10's looking for enemy cav to shoot up.

13. Markintime - "long before remote controls when one had to get the butler to change channel for one but, there again, there was only three to choose from."

Technological opulence :D , how about a wireless before the advent of a wonder of the new age (at great cost). Then, a choice of one station viewed in low contrast grey on a 9” screen, however, NO FECKIN ADVERTS, especially about mongs who want to sue everyone because they’re unfit to be released unsupervised.

The recent ‘tradition’ is probably benchmarked with ‘The Great Escape’ or more latterly ‘The Snowman’ - though in America they appear pretty adamant about 'It's a Wonderful Life'? For me none replace the 1951 ‘Scrooge – A Christmas Carol’ with Alastair Sim which MUST be viewed in b/w as opposed to the colorised version. Humbug :omg:

Of the American rash of 30s Coca Cola 'Santa' films, quite like Tim Allen's 'The Santa Clause', as I quite like Tim Allen's characters. :wink:

14. It's a wonderful life, and one of my favourite films of all time.

Scrooged , which is way too dark for kids.
  15. Forgot to add Reach for the Sky - magnificent!