Films about the Spanish Civil War

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by weekend_worrier, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may be missing something here, but off the top of my head I couldn't think of many films on the Spanish Civil War. Seeing as it was almost a prelude to WWI - and given the number of Brits who fought in the conflict (not all of them against Franco) - I tried to think how many I could name without using Wikipedia. I only managed four.

'For Whom the Bell Tolls' - The film version of Hemingway's novel. I haven't got round to seeing this yet.

'Behold a Pale Horse' - This was on Film4 a little while back, and I missed all but the last half hour. It stars Gregory Peck as an ex-Republican fighter, who twenty years after the end of the war goes gunning for a Guardia Civile officer played by Anthony Quinn. From what I saw of it it looked pretty good.

'Land and Freedom' - Made by Ken Loach. Normally I can't stand his commie bullshit, but I was actually quite engrossed by this film. Ian Hart was in the lead, and it covered the internecine feuds between the anti-Fascist parties which helped Franco win the war.

'Pan's Labyrinth' - This is in itself a wierd film because it's part fantasy, part war film. It's actually set in the aftermath of the war (in the 1940s) and the striking thing is that the 'real life' scenes are actually more horrific than the 'fantasy' ones. I also admit that the ending made me cry.

Has anyone seen any others?
  2. There's another Guillermo Del Toro film, El Espinaza Del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone), Spanish with subtitles. It is a curious ghost story set at the end of the war, it's not a war film as such but it is beautiful.
  3. Confidential Agent, by Graham Greene and starring Lauren Bacall. Not exactly a five-star movie, but I suppose we can forgive anything from the man who wrote Brighton Rock.
  4. España 1936 (1937)
    The Spanish Earth (Joris Ivens (1937)
    Defenders of the Faith (1938)
    L'Assedio dell' Alcazar (1940)
    Raza (1942)
    For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)
    The Fallen Sparrow (1943)
    The Angel Wore Red (1960)
    Five Cartridges (Fünf Patronenhülsen, GDR 1960)
    Behold a Pale Horse, (1964)
    Viva la Muerte (1971)
    The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)
    The Guernica Tree (1975)
    La Colmena (1982)
    Bicycles Are for the Summer (1984)
    The Good Fight: The Abraham Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish Civil War (1984)
    The Heifer (1985)
    The Spanish Civil War (1987)
    Si Te Dicen Que Cai (1989)
    ¡Ay, Carmela! (1990)
    Belle Époque (1992)
    Land and Freedom (1995)
    À la vie, à la mort! (1995)
    Fiesta (1995)
    Libertarias (1996)
    Amor y Venganza (1996)
    Vivir la Utopia (1998)
    La hora de los valientes (1998)
    Butterfly's Tongue (1998), same as: La Lengua de las Mariposas (1999)
    El Mar (2000)
    El Portero (2000)
    The Devil's Backbone (2001)
    Soldados de Salamina (2002)
    Carol's Journey (2002)
    Head in the Clouds (2004)
    Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
    An Anarchist's Story (2007)
    There Be Dragons (2011)
    Hemingway & Gellhorn (2012)
  5. La Guerre est finie (1960)
    In Love and War (2002)
    Black Bread (2010)
    Waiting for Robert Capa (in production)

The novel Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom would make a good film.
  6. The prime of Miss Jean Brodie
    • Like Like x 1