Film to be made about first black army officer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/sep/22/bbc.television

The BBC4 controller, Janice Hadlow, has given the green light to a film based on the life of the first black officer to lead British troops during the first world war.

Written by actor and award-winning playwright Kwame Kwei-Armah, Walter's War will form the centrepiece of a series of programming based around this year's 90th anniversary of the end of the first world war.

It will air on Remembrance Day in November.

OT Fagbenle, who has appeared in Doctor Who and the Anthony Minghella feature film Breaking And Entering, will star as Walter Tull who led troops as an officer in the face of both the horrors of the conflict and prejudice in some quarters about his skin colour.

The film, based on an "imagined period" of Tull's life, will focus on his experiences at the front and the time he spent recuperating from trench fever before he underwent officer training.

Tull - who was also one of the first black footballers to play professional football, turning out for Tottenham Hotspur and Northampton between 1909 and 1914 - was killed at the second battle of the Somme in 1918 at the age of 29.

The rest of the cast includes Ewan Stewart as Sergeant Fuller and Dugald Bruce-Lockhart as fellow soldier Captain Coombe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Tull

Extraordinary story, extraordinary man!

He popped up on the Ian Hislop series `Not Forgotten`. I`m slightly bemused at why they would do an `imagined` period in his life, surely true events would be more interesting 8)

slick said:
He popped up on the Ian Hislop series `Not Forgotten`. I`m slightly bemused at why they would do an `imagined` period in his life, surely true events would be more interesting 8)
Its the BBC , they probally want to cram in how we were/are still all a nation of racist bigots etc :roll:

LT

I only hope the PC brigade don't turn this into a another nasty Army production, having screwed up their undercover reporter lets hope it's not a revenge number!

There were also in the Northumberland Irish, some black or half-caste lads, who fought on the 1st day of the Somme, they used to call them 'Burnt Geordies' There is a picture of some in the Northumberland Irish Pals book.

Going back to topic, extrordinary guy, well liked by his men.

You would have thought he would at least have been an Etonian, but the lad was a childrens home kid from the east end. Even more impressive!

Trotsky

Taz_786 said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/sep/22/bbc.television

The BBC4 controller, Janice Hadlow, has given the green light to a film based on the life of the first black officer to lead British troops during the first world war.

Written by actor and award-winning playwright Kwame Kwei-Armah, Walter's War will form the centrepiece of a series of programming based around this year's 90th anniversary of the end of the first world war.

It will air on Remembrance Day in November.

OT Fagbenle, who has appeared in Doctor Who and the Anthony Minghella feature film Breaking And Entering, will star as Walter Tull who led troops as an officer in the face of both the horrors of the conflict and prejudice in some quarters about his skin colour.

The film, based on an "imagined period" of Tull's life, will focus on his experiences at the front and the time he spent recuperating from trench fever before he underwent officer training.

Tull - who was also one of the first black footballers to play professional football, turning out for Tottenham Hotspur and Northampton between 1909 and 1914 - was killed at the second battle of the Somme in 1918 at the age of 29.

The rest of the cast includes Ewan Stewart as Sergeant Fuller and Dugald Bruce-Lockhart as fellow soldier Captain Coombe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Tull

Extraordinary story, extraordinary man!
Walter's War

Kwei-Armah is an exceptional observer. What the licence fee is for!

I watched it last night. my Opinion was that it had been written by a teenager as part of his GCSE. All cliches, twitching shell shocked veterans, bigots and grumpy racist WOs. Probably detracted from an already amazing and inspiring story. I think it could have been better researched.

4 out 10 could have been a much better, it now on BBC I player

blacknasty said:
I watched it last night. my Opinion was that it had been written by a teenager as part of his GCSE. All cliches, twitching shell shocked veterans, bigots and grumpy racist WOs. Probably detracted from an already amazing and inspiring story. I think it could have been better researched.
Pitched just nicely then for us Arrse members... :wink:

slick said:
I saw that programme and thought it was really good. The bit about Walter Tull was very interesting - an outrageously good footballer and brave officer who gave his life, like many others, in the service of our country.

If memory serves, about 4 or 5 years ago at the Rugby Museum at the Twickenham ground there was an excellent display that featured him, ( yes, I know he was a soccer player!!)

I don't know whether it was a temporary exhibit or whether it is still there but it was an eye-opener.

Just felt it fell down in several areas, and felt half done. Especially not concentrating on Tull pre-and post commissioning and fighting in Italy, including the episode where his MC was recommended.

Further examination why this wasn't awarded, in spite of the recommendation would have been good too.

The dramatisation was pretty lame although they had very little to work with to be fair.

The documentary seems much more informative though.

Both on again tonight from 9pm on BBC4.

just watching the documentary...pretty one sided, not much in-depth analysis