Film settles account for forgotten war veterans

Times Link here

A NEW film which describes the suffering of France’s Arab and African troops in the Second World War has moved President Chirac to restore full pensions to the 80,000 surviving veterans.

M Chirac is expected to announce the measure, which will cost the State more than £100 million (€148 million), after the opening tomorrow of Indigènes, a prize-winning feature on the little-known story of the colonial forces that fought in France, Italy and Germany in 1944-45.

The excitement over the film, entitled Days of Glory in English, is part of a general review in France of its conduct towards its former colonials and the failure to assimilate their descendants, some of whom rioted last year on their ghetto-like housing estates
I got all excited when I saw this headline, imagining it was going to be a British film about Burma.Still looks interesting, and good news for those having their pensions restored.

ah not a dry eye in the house....

hang on is this film about Roman Catholics?

"a general review in France of its conduct towards its former colonials and the failure to assimilate their descendants, some of whom rioted last year on their ghetto-like housing estates"

Aaah...bribing a certain religious group then.....

Might be good. I've been waiting for some good films about colonial troops.

Random_Task said:

Times Link here

A NEW film which describes the suffering of France’s Arab and African troops in the Second World War has moved President Chirac to restore full pensions to the 80,000 surviving veterans.

M Chirac is expected to announce the measure, which will cost the State more than £100 million (€148 million), after the opening tomorrow of Indigènes, a prize-winning feature on the little-known story of the colonial forces that fought in France, Italy and Germany in 1944-45.

The excitement over the film, entitled Days of Glory in English, is part of a general review in France of its conduct towards its former colonials and the failure to assimilate their descendants, some of whom rioted last year on their ghetto-like housing estates
I got all excited when I saw this headline, imagining it was going to be a British film about Burma.Still looks interesting, and good news for those having their pensions restored.
Got me excited too, you are a total bugger for posting it. well, i suppose it has human interest....