Film editing software

I am having far too much fun at the moment, hunting and fishing and going nice places to do it. I realised I should be filming the pleasure and beauty of it for my own interest but more for future generations.

To whit, I have SD cards filled with, well probably mostly lots of nothing happening but in a beautiful setting.

So I need some software to enable quickly cutting out the dross and patching the good stuff together into 'scenes' I think is the term.

Over to the wonder that is the Arrse Knowledgebase.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
If it's simple stuff Android phones can do that - and you can normally use SD cards. If it's more complex Windows and Mac OS both have apps you can use but they're more complex. iMovie and FinalCutPro on Mac are very powerful but actually easy to get into. Windows 10 I think have Movie Creator free or as a free download.

I am having far too much fun at the moment, hunting and fishing and going nice places to do it. I realised I should be filming the pleasure and beauty of it for my own interest but more for future generations.

To whit, I have SD cards filled with, well probably mostly lots of nothing happening but in a beautiful setting.

So I need some software to enable quickly cutting out the dross and patching the good stuff together into 'scenes' I think is the term.

Over to the wonder that is the Arrse Knowledgebase.
Have a look at this, {watch the video}

Pinnacle Studio 22 | Powerful Video Editing Software

I use two video editing packages - 'Cyberlink Power Director' and 'VSDC Free Video Editor'.

Cyberlink Power Director is very user friendly. I use this for basic editing - putting clips together in sequence. I then use VSDC if I need a special effect that Power Director doesn't use - eg rotating the frame through 90 degrees and re-sizing.
VSDC Free Video Editor is good, but not intuitive. Took me a while to get used to it.

PowerDirector 16

Download Free Video Editor: best software for video editing.

I trained on Avid which is all singing / all dancing and friends equally swore by Final Cut Pro. But you can put together some nifty little vids on iMovie.

I trained on Avid which is all singing / all dancing and friends equally swore by Final Cut Pro. But you can put together some nifty little vids on iMovie.
A2_Matelot said FCP and iMovie were good, but they were Mac stuff , which I have never used ever. No particular reason, just haven't.

+1 on iMovie. It's free too. Comes with macOS and iOS. Can't say I've used the iOS version, but the Mac version is pretty simple to turn out respectable vids. I'd think an iPad would be better than a phone, but can't speak from experience. Might have a play later!

A2_Matelot said FCP and iMovie were good, but they were Mac stuff , which I have never used ever. No particular reason, just haven't.
You could try Adobe Premier which I used to have on a laptop but never used- that stuff is all just slight variations on a theme anyway with the same (ish) format. Like Photoshop, Adobe offers a simplified "Elements" version of Premier. As far as Android is concerned, there seems to be a plethora of software if you do a search- a bit of research should find you a popular one. Then it's just a matter of getting to grips with it.
As a stills tog I always found video a terrible faff to shoot but very satisfying when done!!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bollocks to all of the above. :mrgreen:

Use Lightworks. It's used by professional studios and is totally free. It takes a bit of learning, but it's how I edit my videos together seamlessly (57 cuts!) and you can also do a lot of in-video effects.

Takes time to learn, but worth it.

I use this. Bit fiddly to start with but once you've got the hang of it there's some quite powerful features on hand. There's a fair few tutorials on the 'net, too.

VSDC Free Video Editor

Bollocks to all of the above. :mrgreen:

Use Lightworks. It's used by professional studios and is totally free. It takes a bit of learning, but it's how I edit my videos together seamlessly (57 cuts!) and you can also do a lot of in-video effects.

Takes time to learn, but worth it.

Yup - Pulp Fiction (along with other 'Hollywood Blockbusters') was cut on it, so it's going to handle what the OP needs with ease.

It may seem like massive overkill, but the biggest advantage you'll find over 'simpler' packages, is that it's easier to keep track of a large library of video clips, which is what the OP sounds like he has.

It's got builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux, so no problem there.

Coming at it with no previous experience of things like Premiere and FCP will actually be an advantage - the editing process is similar to the traditional film mark'n'park technique, which confuses a lot of mouse-jockeys.

There's a good online community to call on, and plenty of tutorials.

*edited to add* @medwaymud !

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yup - Pulp Fiction (along with other 'Hollywood Blockbusters') was cut on it, so it's going to handle what the OP needs with ease.

It may seem like massive overkill, but the biggest advantage you'll find over 'simpler' packages, is that it's easier to keep track of a large library of video clips, which is what the OP sounds like he has.

It's got builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux, so no problem there.

Coming at it with no previous experience of things like Premiere and FCP will actually be an advantage - the editing process is similar to the traditional film mark'n'park technique, which confuses a lot of mouse-jockeys.

There's a good online community to call on, and plenty of tutorials.
Took me a long time to understand mark and park, but the power of it is phenomenal.

It also pays to keep an eye on Humble Bundle - Humble Bundle
They do video editing stuff a few times a year and I got Vegas Pro 14 for £10 earlier in the year.
Admittedly it was the previous version, but was still £300+ when new a couple of years back.

I've used Media 100 in the past but that was for Macs and came on a hardware board at that time.

I'd be interested to know what is the closest Windows version to it that is currently available. Free, natch.

I've used Media 100 in the past but that was for Macs and came on a hardware board at that time.

I'd be interested to know what is the closest Windows version to it that is currently available. Free, natch.

Media 100, eh? Eeh, that takes me back...

As mentioned above, Lightworks will do the trick. It even works with Boris.

So* what's your operating system?

*Yes, I know!
You are so forgiven.
I actually haven't owned a computer for the last 3 years, my telephone thing has done everything I need doing. Editing video is going to require a bigger screen and much more storage space though so time to buy one and probably stick with Msoft.

Slight thread drift.
In recent weeks, I've been using 'VSDC Free Video Converter' to convert MP4 format videos to DVD format so that I can watch them on a portable DVD player. I assume that the results would work on a DVD player connected to a TV bit I don't have a TV so can't confirm. It's a lot more comfortable watching from the comfort of an armchair!

Drag and drop your videos into the converter, select 'DVD' and 'To DVD', click on 'Convert File' and the job is done:

SNAG-18082015303300.jpg

SNAG-18082015301600.jpg