Film anthems.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by ivan_the_tolerable, Jun 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this has been done before but a hasty search idicates otherwise;
    Last weekend as i was bimbling around the house, in the background the tv was on and showing for the umpteenth time was James Bond, On Her Majesty's secret service. Listening to it and not really watching, i thought to myself that in spite of George Lazenby,s indifferent performance and it not being generally regarded as one of the best of the Bond series the theme music was my favourite of all the Bond films.

What is your favourite piece of music from a film?

Being a fan of the stirring big band/ ochestral sound, "the ecstasy of gold" by Ennio Morricone and the theme to Crimson tide by Hans zimmer get the thumbs up as do the themes from the "Battle of britain" and "Where eagles dare".
  2. The theme tune to "The Great Escape" is the first that springs to mind. Then any of the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns.
  3. Starman, makes me blubber!
  4. Raising the Barn from Witness

Band of Brothers

Lord of the Rings

Last of the Mohicans
  5. Most of the "classic" war films, especially the Brit ones. Obviously the Dambusters, The Longest Day, 633 Squadron and so on. Although I reckon A Bridge Too Far is one of the most memorable.
  6. Zulu and Miller Crossing have decent soundtracks.

I think the bit of music that plays as they rob the bank in Heat is perfect for the scene and the way it abruptly stops as it goes noisy is quality.
  7. Agreed, the music in the final few minutes of the last of the mohicans is quality, just as Chingachcook is dishing out justice a la Iriquois war club.
  8. Just because it's been on a lot recently:

It just screams open-range, horses and guns.
  9. Might not be great music but the situational theme music to Jaws is one of those things that changed the way people think and react.

That Dum-Dum-dum-dum is deep in the public mind and it now means Shark!
  10. John Carpenter's early films all have quality soundtracks.

Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween and The Thing.
  11. Opening title theme from Battle of Britain, "Aces High", plus Sir William Walton's "Spitfire Prelude" from the same film.
    "Strawberry Letter 23" from the Jackie Brown soundtrack - the long distance shot where Samuel L. Jackson shoots Beaumont in the boot of the car & the opening bars of this track play, is a classic piece of filmmaking. Also "Across 110th Street" by Bobby Womack from the same film. Pure class.
  12. I think Lazenby is massively underrated. I prefer him to Roger Moore.

Dances With Wolves, by the way.