Filling my rucksack

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by mattyw, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

Filling my rucksack

Hello everyone I am training myself for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and I have brought myself a rucksack and I would like to know how to fill it without using all the kit. At first I thought just having bricks and newspaper would do in till my uncle said to me be careful about having bricks in your bag as the police :police: may nick you for having bricks. :x

So I ask you what I can use to put in my bag to get it to the right weight. I am thinking sand but what else is there or is it just pack the kit you going to use and do it like that.

:help:
    Matt

Edit: I am walking 15km - 18km a day for 3 days.

2. Pack it with what you'd normally carry for a night out just in case social order disintegrates while you're out, and you have to E&E to America...

3. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

well the way this countrys going might as well. but i need about 25kg + and need to put it in a 66L bag. Is sand my only opinion.

4. Carry water in some kind of container. That way, if you knacker yourself, want tadjust the total weight, or whatever you can empty it out. I used to use plastic scew top milk jugs (tape the lids on though).

5. What do you need to achieve? You may find it's not just a question of carting 25Kg around until you collapse.

6. Also don't start your build up training with 25KGs, begin with a much lighter weight and build up your distance and weight.

7. RIGRAT is right, if you just start smashing out the miles with 25kg you'll soon have problems with your knees and back!
    Use the kit you will be carrying, and build with 2 litre water bottles from there on. You should ideally focus on your CV fitness before weight carrying, try getting out running 5+ miles several times a week.

8. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

Ah ok sorry was not that clear. But I am walking 15km - 18km a day.
    I will start with a small weight and build up.
    jungelism I will start running then and build up my cv fitness first. But
    realy 5 miles every day?

9. Can you really be arrested for having bricks in your rucksack?

10. I'll say again, what do you need to achieve? There's no point in training for the Paramali death march if all you need to do is complete a DoE course.

11. No, hence why I said "several times a week". Don't run with weight. Start with about 15lbs when you're walking (and get some hills in, proper ones) and increase your weight gradually over 6 weeks or so.

12. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

My aim is to do dofe but I am able to do better so geting less tired, able to carry more, can go faster and make my life easyer.

13. Yes, but what exactly is your goal? What does this DoE entail? Just beasting yourself is no good, all you'll get is tired.

14. No. Not unless you tell the officer you intend to throw them through windows or beat people to death with them.

There is absolutely no need to be carrying 25kgs on a DofE expedition; that's probably more than a third of your body weight. Try packing what you think you'll take for the expedition, have a practice run and see what you don't need, then do it again. Achieves the aim and teaches you what you do and don't need.

15. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

dofe say you must do 15km from 9 till 5 ish and sorry I was miss informed not 25kg but only 10-15kg. I would like to be ok with theweight on my back so if anyone is struggling I would take some of there bags weight and as I am the teams medic so I would like to worry about other people not me.