Filipino Knocks Out John Bull in LT Weight Championship Bout

Argee2007 said:
I think the chances of a rematch are zero, after this fight i think Hatton might be best to retire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8efM3alfi7o
Thanks for the link. :)

Fantastic win by the PacMan. The first Round knockdown was superb: slipped Ricky's punch while landing a right hook of his own - at the same time! Absolute textbook counter-punching. 8)

The knockout was one of the best I've seen. Hatton was out before he hit the canvas. And it came from almost perfect technique rather than brute power. :worship:

I like Hatton; a very good boxer and, it seems, a decent bloke outside the ring. But it's time for him to retire. Zero chance of a re-match with PacMan: he was out-fought and out-classed.

Thank god Im a fat lazy git I nearly spent £14.95 on 5 minutes entertainment! Time to give it up Ricky your still a hero to many, dont end up a pantomime star!

Hatton was knocked out in the second round of his pound-for-pound fight with Pacquiao in the early hours of this morning (GMT). His technique was noticeably poor, he was unconscious before he hit the floor, and even his trainer Mayweather Snr has said that he 'didn't listen to his training' and 'should retire'.

Can Hatton come back from such a disastrous fight or is the end for him?

This is the second fight he has lost in his entire career....but does that mean it's the end? Or should Britain get back behind one of our most prized fighters who has so many wins and KO's under his belt?

He should retire NOW

God only knows what Hatton was thinking, he was fighting wild there in the second, leaving himself wide open to a quick dangerous opponent. It makes you wonder what the hell all the preparation was for when he threw the plan out the window the second the bell went.

Hopefully now he's going to retire, although i can almost here the Amir Khan camp thinking about taking him on now.

Went pub yesterday at 1pm, my whole day was about the boxing. 14 odd hours later the boxing is nearly on....i fall asleep.

Just caught a replay, that was a complete destruction. It was terrible to watch him get done like that.

Time to end it although id still like him to put Witter to sleep before he goes and go out on a high.

Argee2007 said:
God only knows what Hatton was thinking, he was fighting wild there in the second, leaving himself wide open to a quick dangerous opponent. It makes you wonder what the hell all the preparation was for when he threw the plan out the window the second the bell went.

Hopefully now he's going to retire, although i can almost here the Amir Khan camp thinking about taking him on now.
Hatton is past his best, but he's got too much firepower for Khan.

...yes and Khan. He's got nothing to loose and a shite load of money to make if they stick that one in City's stadium, both local lads too.

I cant wait for Maywether vs Pacman...predictions?

carlbcfc said:
...yes and Khan. He's got nothing to loose and a shite load of money to make if they stick that one in City's stadium, both local lads too.

After this? PacMan. :D

FrankCastle said:
carlbcfc said:

After this? PacMan. :D

Hopefully it'll be happening, the thing with Mayweather is that he always seems to do just enough, or just step up that little bit and put away the challengers.

I'm also a bit sceptical about how to take last nights performance, Pacquiao shows his speed and power, but Hatton fought like an amateur and didn't even make Manny break sweat, he just moved around the ring while Hatton chased him and then struck while Hatton was swinging wildly and leaving himself wide open.

Freddie Roach could of beat Hatton last night.

He's a victim of his own success. He keeps trying the spectacular for the fans that follow him everywhere and in the process keeps getting his head banged off. He should of boxed for himself, not the fans, if that makes sence??

carlbcfc said:
Time to end it although id still like him to put Witter to sleep before he goes and go out on a high.
My money would be on Witter in that fight, but its a fight that will never happen.

Makes Calzaghe's decision to retire look very wise.

The only time Hatton has come up against real class he has been soundly beaten. Kosta Tszyu was way past his best and was looking to retire at the time he fought Hatton. Fed Cannon fodder for years to line Warrens pocket, his record of opponents not that impressive and even avoided Witter (who held the WBC belt), who was ranked Higher than Hatton for many years. I'm with Sandy, Witter would beat Hatton, but I think it's the end of the line for Hatton now.

Hatton was a victim of his own propaganda. He said something like (and I paraphrase): "As I was standing next to Pacman, I was wondering how he's going to stand up to my power and aggression". Easy answer, Ricky, he simply outboxed you.

Hatton got caught at the end of the second round by making exactly the same amateur mistake as he made when Mayweather sent him crashing into the corner-post.

I'd love to see a Pacman/Mayweather bout.

MsG

Unfortunately Hatton was never really prepared in his career for a fight of that magnitude. He was very carefully matched in his career by his promoter at the time and I think this has had a detrimental effect on him. To be very very good in boxing, you really need to learn the sport properly and be matched effectively and ultimately a few losses can do you good. Pacquaio has been beaten before and over the years has consistently fought the very best the sport has to offer in and around his weight class and that is why he is at the top of his game.
Occasionally you do get supremely talented individuals who just happen to be able to beat anyone put in front of them such as Floyd Mayweather Jr, and indeed Roy Jones Jr (Jones suffered from a huge rise and drop in weight classes later in his career which deprived him of any real strength to fight and win, hence the losses to Tarver, Johnson & Calzaghe)..........

....but other than that, it's generally considered that to be the best you need to be operating at a consistently high level. Manny Pacquaio has done that and Ricky Hatton hasn't. The likes of Carlos Maussa, Juan Urango, Paulie Malignaggi, and a past-it Jose Luis Castillo aren't real preparation for the likes of Mayweather & Pacquaio. Why didn't Ricky fight Miguel Cotto, who was WBO light-welterweight champion at one time? Why take on a Kosta Tszyu who was inactive for long periods? Why didn't he fight him back in 2001/2002 when Tszyu had beaten Zab Judah and was on a roll? Because he was protected too much, and thus was unprepared for the big jump to elite world level.
That's why he got beaten so quickly on Saturday night. Pacquaio didn't do anything special - all I saw was someone with some very polished skills doing his work very effectively, and with a great trainer in his corner who unfortunately for Team Hatton sussed their man out very quickly indeed. Manny Pacquaio's record reads like a who's who of boxing's lower weight division, and it showed on Saturday. Experience is important in boxing.