File transfer from old HDD to new PC - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by chrisg46, Apr 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Gents, help is required!

My old pc finally died a few months ago, and denied all attempts to repair. A new PC has been brought complete with a HDD docking station, and i can see the files. However, i seem unable to get permissions to view these files, despite having admin rights set up etc, and going through the security tab etc to change them. I can view the nfile structure,amending permissions to do this, but to see the actual files... Nope, nada!

My old pc was XP, my new one is Windows 7. Not sure what other info you might need? I have just enough IT knowledge to be dangerous...
  2. msr

msr LE

So you can view the folders but not the files?
  3. What does it say when you try and open a file?
  4. > Right click on the hard drive icon and select "Properties" from the menu.
    > Click on the "Security" tab. There will be a list of user names.
    > Choose your user name from the "Group or user" list and click "Edit".
    > Give yourself full control of the disk.
  5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

MSR, i can see the folders and the files names. I just cant see whats in/on the files in question. For example, i can see the pictures, but not on them.
    Smudge, the picture files say Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because you dont have the correct permissions to access the file location.
    PsyWar, done that. It churns away for ages but doesnt seem to make a difference.

Weird thing is, i have two such drives. The other one appears to work fine.
  6. Did you wait for it to finish? It can take hours depending on the size and number of files on the drive. It should do the trick if left to run the course.

Windows 7.0 is treating your external drive like a network drive which it believes you do not have permission to access. You have to authorise your access to the drive to open folders and files, read and write, etc.
  7. Yup, permissions issue.