Fijian Terms of Service

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Speckled_Jim, Dec 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do commonwealth troops, such as Fijians, receive the same pay as their British counterparts?
    Sorry for the daft question but got a presentation tomorrow - so any timely help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. That sounds like the sort of 'fishing for a story' question that a Jerno would ask.

3. No thanks mate, but check my username and past history, you'll see I'm a **********, admittedly I don't post too often but I'm doing a presentation on the Gurkhas terms of service esp the recent citizenship change.
    If you can help that would be great. If you don't want to then fair enough you don't know who I am, I don't know who you are. Have a nice evening, and I'll just make it all up anyway.

4. A journo could easily get the answer from MOD Press Office.

5. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Basically yes, although if they actually joined from their country of origin or travelled to the UK for the express reason of joining rather than having resided for a while in the UK before joining then they get a sort of sabbatical long leave home, paid with appropraite travel warrants, for several weeks every five (I think) years.

The Gurkhas are the only ones with strange TACOS due to treaties with Nepal & India afaik.

6. Thanks very much, just what I needed

7. yes and just to confirm, here is a quote in connection with the Gurkha legal action:

8. As far as I know commonwealth troops enjoy the same terms of service & pay as British soldiers, and qualify for citizenship after 4 years service.

There are no allowances for Commonwealth soldiers to help pay for family to move to the UK or for trips home at public expense. The soldier and family receive the same assistance back to the UK as other British soldiers if serving elsewhere overseas, but not back to their home country. They are also entitled to the same travel warrants for travel in the UK.

Soldiers who are normally domiciled outside the UK and Irish Republic are entitled to Domiciled Collective Leave (DOMCOL) of 45 working days after 5 years’ service. (Not sure if this includes travel costs)