Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Fighting the War on Drugs with World War Two equipment

jim30

LE
Another superbly researched post from the WW2 after WW2 website.

1980s drug war: WWII gear used

This one focuses on the use primarily of US Coast Guard vessels, many of which saw active duty in WW2 well into the 1980s and 1990s tackling drug smugglers. Its a really interesting read, highlighting what can be done with simple but refitable designs and is well worth a few minutes of your time.

Similarly it also focuses on aviation aspects too, particularly the C47, so do take the time to have a look. I'm a big fan of this website!

whitesumac1960s.png

Mr Roberts?

We picked two blokes up from a liferaft in the Florida Straits. They told us that they'd been on the way from the Bahamas to Florida and their boat had mysteriously sunk underneath them. The DEA in Houston didn't believe them.

Good stuff @jim30 - just in the middle of re-reading my Tom Clancy 'Jack Ryanverse' novels and the CG appears in a couple, so actually seeing what they had is interesting.

There have been times (80s/90s) where the US CG would boast about seeing more action than the other US forces - I don't know whether or not this is true but I expect it relates to drug interdiction.

Good stuff @jim30 - just in the middle of re-reading my Tom Clancy 'Jack Ryanverse' novels and the CG appears in a couple, so actually seeing what they had is interesting.

There have been times (80s/90s) where the US CG would boast about seeing more action than the other US forces - I don't know whether or not this is true but I expect it relates to drug interdiction.

I've read the same. USN a/c were pretty busy too with E2Cs from Florida doing the surface/air sweeps for intercepts by the fast stuff doing fly-bys on suspected drugs boats/small a/c. I think i remember footage of a Tomcat coming alongside a Cessna twin prop type & the cessna ends of going into the see. Dunno if the pilot shat himself & lost control or what. Filmed by the F14s wingman.

Just out of interest - what was the last piece of WWII equipment in use by HM Forces?

Mark VIII Torpedo (used against ARA Belgrano) in 1982?
Bren Gun?
SMLE based Sniper Rifle?

What about the Shackleton AEW flying into the 90s, despite being derived from the Avro Lancaster airframe?

Thanks for the linky above. I really enjoyed reading that site. USCG seem like an amazing set of blokes, doing all that they with such old kit, and then only scrapping it when they could no longer get parts. It was amazing what they did with such inexpensive refits.

I echo that "Interesting stuff @jim30". I saw most, if not all the Treasury class cutters when they were on R & R from the Vietnam 'gun line' in Hong Kong between 68 and 70. My quarter overlooked HM Naval Base and there were nearly always one or two USCG cutters anchored off in the naval anchorage. Often used to be the odd handbags ashore between their crews and the USN crews as well.

Looking at the action shot of the Duane though, they must have nipped in somewhere for a quick 'paint ship' before coming to us, as they were always immaculate, never half as ratty-looking as that!

Just out of interest - what was the last piece of WWII equipment in use by HM Forces?

Mark VIII Torpedo (used against ARA Belgrano) in 1982?
Bren Gun?
SMLE based Sniper Rifle?

What about the Shackleton AEW flying into the 90s, despite being derived from the Avro Lancaster airframe?
The Avro Manchester.......even older

Another superbly researched post from the WW2 after WW2 website.

1980s drug war: WWII gear used

This one focuses on the use primarily of US Coast Guard vessels, many of which saw active duty in WW2 well into the 1980s and 1990s tackling drug smugglers. Its a really interesting read, highlighting what can be done with simple but refitable designs and is well worth a few minutes of your time.

Similarly it also focuses on aviation aspects too, particularly the C47, so do take the time to have a look. I'm a big fan of this website!
I can't give you a big enough like for that as it reflects pretty much how little equipment we were given to do the job in a resource intensive war. WWII equipment still in use-pretty much none, apart from the legacy Uniform. I can still remember driving suspect swallowers to St Thoms or to the custody suites with rubber gloves, paper potties and placcy bags and a hand full of seals. Plod treated us at arms length. Fab times. NHS didn't like us either

I can't give you a big enough like for that as it reflects pretty much how little equipment we were given to do the job in a resource intensive war. WWII equipment still in use-pretty much none, apart from the legacy Uniform. I can still remember driving suspect swallowers to St Thoms or to the custody suites with rubber gloves, paper potties and placcy bags and a hand full of seals. Plod treated us at arms length. Fab times. NHS didn't like us either

Sorry to be dense - which 'we' are you talking about - Jim30 was talking about US Coast Guard, but you refer to 'plod' and 'NHS' so you sound like a Brit...

Sorry to be dense - which 'we' are you talking about - Jim30 was talking about US Coast Guard, but you refer to 'plod' and 'NHS' so you sound like a Brit...
I was merely referring to habitual situation of under resourcing in what is a serious war. C and E had I think a max of 5 or six cutters which was partly for fishery protection shared with RN and smuggling again shared with RN. Our cutters are/were not armed. During my time we occasionally had contact with US Coastguard/Dea who came to look at us.