Fighting the Talibal Part two;Meeting the Taliban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Shown tonight at 2305Hrs on Channel 4.This time from the Taliban perspective....
    This time he meets the Taliban fighters waging war on the British Army & the Islamic fighters who are fightin a Global Jihad.
    Should be interesting.
  2. Thanks for that, completly forgot about it.
  3. Shame they couldn`t do what the Russkies did to the Chetchnin leader, mobile phone signal, Mig, Smart bomb, End EX
  4. if anyone missed 'fighting the Taliban' its on again at 0425hrs friday on channel 4 so if you missed it set your sky+
  5. Watched it tonight.

Not quite as eventful as the first edition, but my god, you could just FEEEEEEEEEL his fear, the unescapable, strangling, sweating, shaking, waking up in the night SCREAAAMMING fear emanating off him. Mind you, he still went into the lions' (or is that 'sweaty ragheads') den, good on him.

It's not difficult to see also that these talibani dudes are in a different league of hard when compared to the arabs.

I think that the biggest problem we are having in afghanistan is troop numbers. During the Russian occupation, that had between 80,000 and 104,000 troops in a number of large soviet motor-rifle divisions. They had none of the problems of public oppinion that hampers western actions, and they even had hundreds of tanks. They could not stop the Taliban. Western support for the Taliban, through Pakistan only really started towards the end of the insurgency and was not a major factor in the first few years.

Now, the US has a total of 20,000 personnel in the place, and the UK a lot less. How in hell are we supposed to bring these aggressive, backward, illiterate smack-cultivating buggers to heel with such a huge shortage of personnel or equipment?

I'm starting to get the impression that this is not so much a numbers game as a publicity stunt, but a very, very expensive one in terms of lives and equipment.
  6. Begs the question of when do we go into Pakistan?
  7. We don't as a rule tell off naughty countries if they have nukes. Pakistan does, so we won't invade, North Korea does, so we won't invade, China does, Russia does, India does, Israel does. You can betcha that none of the countries that have joined the armageddon club are on a visit list.

We will bend over backwards (and take it up the exit route) and if needs be, spend a vast amount of money to keep these countries pliable and at least appearing as allies for the greater public consumption.

It matters not that Pakistan is doing what it did to the Russians with US sponsorship, but now with no sponsorship to the US and UK - I am 90% certain that ol' Bush and Bliar will not even consider the option of walking into Pakistan uninvited.

However, there are many more ways to skin a cat.

quote="sanchauk"]Intersting read below on Soviet days:[/quote]

Very scary indeed. There speaks a haunted boke. The septics were doing similar things in Vietnam and bordering countries, though I'm sure not to the same degree, and they weren't flogging their M16s' as far as I am aware.

Have you heard of Air America and the Golden Triangle?
  8. Classic line in that program.
    Young soldier with only four months training now sitting in a god forsaken mountain outpost says,
    "I was really scared the first night I got here."
    "Why what happened?"
    "Nothing, I was just really scared."
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It seemed pretty obvious to me that we have a huge, if not impossible, problem with these guys. They are clearly intelligent and brave fighters, and we should not even talk about our lack of kit when comparing to what these guys carry to a fight.......

Fighting an occupying force in their backyard has been the normal status for generations. What is a war in difficult circumstances for us, is normal life for them - and also for their fathers and grandfathers and anyone else they have ever met.

We try with difficulty to comprehend their motivation, commitment, doctrine and discipline. I think we will never be able to fully appreciate their perspective in a way we can pro-actively utilise it to our advantage.

They are playing a long hand. They have already fully accepted that this fight may continue for generations, it has no end for them. We, on the other hand have politics and public opinion in cycles that would never allow a long timeframe of commitment by our armed forces.

I think that a more comprehensive and intelligent approach to this area is needed. With the current modus operandi my grandkids will be fighting theirs in the same mountains. Not that it would get that far as we will be forced to quit and cut our losses long before........just like every other army that has gone into those mountains.
  10. Islamic brain washing at its best. Where a 15 year old boy sitting there with a suicide vest on saying that he was ready to die and become a martyr just like his brother did.
    But I wonder if he knows that when he is sent out that there will be someone following him with a remote detonator just incase he bottles it. As most bombers do.
  11. Whether they be calling themselves mujahideen or taliban, it really makes no odds. The Afghans or the various interlopers can change their political ideology all they like and it won't make us any more welcome. A telling line that was repeated a couple of times in the program by the Afghans, both to the British ossifer and the reporter was "They/you are foreigners!".

This is the motivation, and all the more difficult to overcome or win over because it is a devastatingly simple one. The ol' left wing, liberal, sign up to the EU, make a law that says foreigners is actually OK will not work in a country that doesn't like foreigners as a rule.

As you say, these are a very simple people, with simple lives and ideologies that have battled for centuries, generation after generation, invader after invader.

It gets to a point where nothing will win them over, and nothing will work to dislodge them because again, they live and die by the sword and expect nothing else, wherease everywhere else in the world does no have the political and social will for the long haul, nor the longevity or simple expectations.

The problem is exceedingly difficult, though not necessarily too much so. We don't need to do as the Russkies did, which in retrospect, even without the extra problem of facing the septics in another proxy war, was completely wrong. We o not need to swamp the country with troops and manpower either.

We are talking about small bands of men, men that scattered to the hills during the first invasion, which was a sweep of the country aling with lots of bombings. The Afghans expect long potracted battles and full-on invasions and a ready for it.

Why don't we change the way we achieve our aims. If we are looking for training camps with small bands of armed men, for Paki's travelling over the border, for smack travelling from the poppy fields etc., we can do so from th air, with special forces, with satellites and with intelligence. We can selectively bomb, attack or waylay such targets as they appear without such a huge use of manpower that we look like getting into at the moment.

20,000 US troops, plus the British, might not actually be too few if they are the right srt of troops, properly motivated, rotated and equipped.

We could, for a much lower cost than Iraq, keep these aggressive little buggers on the back foot for years.
  12. I see your point but on the other hand what is the difference with a 15 yr british kid in some run down estate syaing he wants to join the Army like his brother who has been killed / injured in Iraq.

Many moderate muslims would see that 15 yr old in the UK as being the victim of brain washing.
  13. Our war aims should be:

1. Keep the terrorists away from here. If that means fighting them in someone else's country, then fine. There is no sensible timescale on this one, no way you can define victory except in the absence of big attacks here.

2. Get rid of the poppy cultivation. If that means spraying each field with herbicide every time they plant poppies, then fine too. They'll soon learn not to grow food crops next to poppies.