FIGHTING PTSD AND DOING MY BIT FOR COMBAT STRESS.ORG.UK

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by goldwingtaffy, Dec 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks, [align=justify]
    Pls 4give me if this get's little long winded will keep it short as poss.

My name is Steve "TAFFY" Horvath / left Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) in '91. In Jan '05 became ill, diagnosed in Sept '05 with chronic PTSD 23yrs after the main event that has caused it.. Having researched it I've been informed cannot be cured at this late stage so stuck with it 4 life, just not going to let it kill me but kick it *********** and manage it (Somehow)

I'm also under the care of Combat Stress (1st visit in Jan '06).

I've put a proposal to the fundraising director at C/Stress of an idea I had but am now putting into reality.

It will take place in 2007 (date TBA), I will be doing a Sponsored Walk (With bergan on back naturally!!) throughout the Uk, visiting EVERY military base that I can (Army, Navy, RAF etc) raising funds before and during the event. The walk will take me approx 12-18mths and be approx 15,000 - 20,000miles.

Robert marsh (Fundraising Dir C/Stress) is submitting my proposal to the Directors & Trustees of C/Stress to see if they will back my campaign in name. I am awaiting the result. Have already approval from MOD with database from MOD Defense Estates with list of MOD properties. (Approx 4000). Now sorting out which are perm mil bases.

I.m in the early planning stages of the walk and am looking for additional info about corporate sponsorships, anyone who would like to join me at various stages to do their own walk for a bit and info on addresses of perm mil bases in UK.

I intend to have a MAJOR media campaign underway when I get the go ahead from C/Stress (Hopefully). I want to get all local, regional and national TV, Radio and newspapers involved to gain maximum publicity for my "LITTLE YOMP" as I'm now calling it.

My aims are:- To help myself cope with PTSD.
    Raise maximum awareness of the issues faced by other forces personnel with mental health issues such as mine.
    To raise minimum of £500,000 for Combat Stress as they are the only organisation of it's kind in the UK.

Any inf0, views and additional ideas would be most welcome.

Regards

Goldwingtaffy / Steve "TAFFY" Horvath or just Taffy for short.[/align]

2. Good cause Taffy. Wish you all the best.

3. Best of luck Taffy. Since you've approached them for the onsite permission, is MOD HQ going to make a decent donation then? :roll:

4. Hi Myssl,

Don't worry about MOD donation, they will be one of the first to be approached when I get the main sponsorship approach campaign under way.

Thanks for the support to all, keep it coming.

Once I have the web side of things up and running I will be puting a page together on one of the web-donation sites for peeps to follow and start donating.

Taffy

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

6. Hats off Taffy,

PTSD is a weird one. Spoke to one of the SAS guys who was captured and tortured following B20 and asked him if he'd had any psychological issues. "Nah", he said. On the other had I was totally smashed up by a car accident caused by some cnut who fell asleep at the wheel. Couldn't get my missus out of the wreckage and thought she had died. Not been the same since.

Let me kno where I can send a donation.

7. Hi Folks,

FAO Oldbaldy. Thanks for the link mate, that is one of the sites I had lined up that I will be posting a page on once I have the go ahead from C/Stress. Thanks for the support.

FAO King_of_the_Burpas, Thanks again for your support, know where you are coming from my friend, 25yrs as a paramedic I've helped plenty of people in your situation. Thoughts are with you mate. Nil Carborundum IllegitemI (Don't let the B***ards get you down)

If you go to Combat Stress home page there is a link on their fundraising section where you can donate on line. I'm now going to speak to them for more info and ways to add new ways of donating. Many thanks for the support.

For the attention of anyone wishing to donate to Combat Stress UK / The Ex-Services mental Health Welfare Society, please go to Combat Stress Donations Page Link. Simply click on the link or paste it to your web address bar :- http://www.combatstress.org.uk/fundraising/donations.asp

PLEASE NOTE: ANYONE DONATING TO COMBAT STRESS TO SUPPORT MY CAMPAIGM, COULD YOU PLEASE DROP A QUICK EMAIL TO COMBAT STRESS INFORMING THEM THAT YOUR DONATION IS IN SUPPORT OF MY SPONSORED WALK. COMBAT STRESS WILL THEN BE ABLE TO KEEP A RUNNING TOTAL THAT CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO MY PUBLICITY CAMPAIGN, THANKS AGAIN FOLKS FOR YOUR ONGOING SUPPORT.

Anyone with experience of obtaining corporate sponsors for such events, pls give me a yell.

Many many thanks for all the support and keep the donations coming in, we all need each other and each others support, morally, spiritually and financially.

Spk to you all soon with more updates and additional info on "TAFFY's LITTLE YOMP/TAB 2007 in aid Of Combat Stress is a registered charity No 206002

Regards
    Taffy

8. Great Idea,try the Royal Air Force Benevalent Fund,they have donated and help with welfare in the past. In the last year they have given over 19 million to good needs and welfare issue,Housing being one of them.

9. there is also a straight link at the top of this page to combat stress, or or the forums page of this forum

10. Goldwingtaffy, we have fundraising dept at work, I will tap into them and see if they have some bright ideas which may help you. Best of luck to you.

Mike

11. I can back that up, its real easy to set up and people can use gift aid to increase donation, I recently usaed them to collect for Combat Stress

12. Hi Folks,

Quick update re my walk. Have received the backing of Combat Stress for the event.

Have also just completed my fundraising page on Justgiving.co.uk, so am now able to receive donations and sponsorship for the walk. Kindly follow the link below to my page where you will find all the information and help to support my sponsored walk in aid of Combat Stress.

http://www.justgiving.com/LONGESTUKWALK

Kind regards and look forward to speaking soon.

Taffy

13. well done mate ive suffered from ptsd for about 5years and have just finished counselling and medication glad to here someone is helping combatstress