Fighting Pirates

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pompey, Nov 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A US company has been given a two-year contract to help fight piracy off the Somalia coast - seen as among the world's most dangerous waters.
    The $50m contract has been awarded by Somalia's transitional government.
  2. I think I would ask to be paid in advance. :p
  3. Do you have to bring your own cutlass?
  4. I hear that Paul McCartneys wife has signed up
  5. That's $480,769.23 a week to sail around the sunny waters off Somalia looking innocent and blowing the krap out of anyone who decides that you are a target. Okay, there's a little outlay to buy a reasonably sized, very fast boat and some serious firepower, but that's still a lot of money.
  6. Don't people have Navies for that sort of thing or will Letters of Marque be reintroduced?
  7. I think we need to sort out the Somali's in this country who are shooting our Police first. Sh*theads
  8. It's the septics protecting their Cruiseliners, methinks.
  9. I should imagine that the magic words "Export Credit Guarantee"(reads: the US Gov't pays) were written into the contract. :wink:
  10. A british security company used to have something similar with the puntland government (most easterly point of former somalia). It ended in the courts, enforcement of territorial waters can be tricky if the country isn't officially recognised by atlas makers. One ship had a 105 recoiless jury rigged as main armament.