Fighting Logistics Through (or Sitting Ducks)?

Good stuff, and defintily proving hte adage 'soldier first'.

These CLPs seem to be a great investment in manpower. The kit gets through and no end of OpFor comes in close, begging to be brassed up. Which of course saves on transport getting us to them.

Why the seemingly higher losses for hte Afghan trucks? I think the article said 10 drivers dead, and 4 unknown.

chocolate_frog said:

These CLPs seem to be a great investment in manpower. The kit gets through and no end of OpFor comes in close, begging to be brassed up. Which of course saves on transport getting us to them.

Why the seemingly higher losses for hte Afghan trucks? I think the article said 10 drivers dead, and 4 unknown.
Do you think it's because one looks like this

And the others look like this?

“We don’t want to become decisively engaged with the enemy, it’s not what we’re equipped for,” said Major Patch Reehal
If its the same Patch Reehal I think it is, then 28 Sqn have a very fine OC. Dagger man and and Sandhurst sword winner thingy ma jig to boot.

SK

SKJOLD said:
“We don’t want to become decisively engaged with the enemy, it’s not what we’re equipped for,” said Major Patch Reehal
If its the same Patch Reehal I think it is, then 28 Sqn have a very fine OC. Dagger man and and Sandhurst sword winner thingy ma jig to boot.

SK
The very same man. I wonder if the CO is still referred to as 'Swampy' Moore or whether a promotion means that he has outgrown that moniker.

SKJOLD said:

SK
a top chap indeed...but i don't think he won the SoH, probably the Carmen's sword?

GeneralMalaise said:
chocolate_frog said:

Do you think it's because one looks like this

And the others look like this?

Like your thinking GM, but don't most look like....

More pics here

Watan 'Risk Management' seem to be freeloading,and not dealing with their own security-for which they are paid!

Danny_Dravot said:
SKJOLD said:

SK
a top chap indeed...but i don't think he won the SoH, probably the Carmen's sword?
Correct Danny. 'Patch' won the Carmen Sword in 1998 and not the SoH. I think his father also won the Carmen Sword in 1980 (as a Lt Col).

The photos are from about 18 months ago so apologies if they seem old hat but there are a couple of pages of images from a Getty photographer (Marco Di Lauro) here from about half way down the page...

The reason they lose so many Jingly trucks, is because we don't (didn't) provide FP for them. It's a big enough nause trying to keep a CLP together as it is, what with ANA, ANP and many other assorted stragglers.

It's nice to see a weapon ring on the CSTs now, balancing an LMG on the roof was never a very good compromise.

I've put a few Herrick CLP picks in the Arrse gallery recently, that may be of interest to readers of this thread.

GeneralMalaise said:
Danny_Dravot said:
SKJOLD said:

SK
Correct Danny. 'Patch' won the Carmen Sword in 1998 and not the SoH. I think his father also won the Carmen Sword in 1980 (as a Lt Col).
As a Lt Col? I can certainly confirm that there was no Carmen's Sword in 1980, at least not on my TCC!

Bubbles_Barker said:
GeneralMalaise said:
Danny_Dravot said:
SKJOLD said:

SK
As a Lt Col? I can certainly confirm that there was no Carmen's Sword in 1980, at least not on my TCC!
Bubbles - the Carmen Sword need not necessarily be won by a RLC Troop Commander. Look here for a list of winners and you'll see all manner of differing ranks. The basic criteria for winning/being awarded the CS is ..."given to the young Royal Logistic Corps Officer selected by the Corps as most worthy to be so recognised."

I'd agree that Malcolm Hood and Patch Reehal (Snr) didn't necessarily adhere to the 'junior' part of the criteria but they were felt worthy of the award nonetheless.

GeneralMalaise said:
Bubbles_Barker said:
GeneralMalaise said:
Danny_Dravot said:
SKJOLD said:

SK
Bubbles - the Carmen Sword need not necessarily be won by a RLC Troop Commander. Look here for a list of winners and you'll see all manner of differing ranks. The basic criteria for winning/being awarded the CS is ..."given to the young Royal Logistic Corps Officer selected by the Corps as most worthy to be so recognised."

I'd agree that Malcolm Hood and Patch Reehal (Snr) didn't necessarily adhere to the 'junior' part of the criteria but they were felt worthy of the award nonetheless.
I stand corrected - at least I think I do. Jim Ferrier was on my TCC in 1980 and I don't remember a sword. However as they have him down as 1981 rather than 1980 then they may have awarded it a year later. I seem to dimly remember an 'Armada Dish' being given out that looked suspiciously like a Mess ashtray!

As for 'seniority' the ranks are presumably those of the winners at the time the list was created rather than the actual award, which is also why the early ones are down as RLC rather than RCT. That list brings back a few memories I can tell you!

I can confirm that Patch won the Carmens Sword as did his Dad (then a Lt too).

As I am his Dad's 9 year old Rottweiler, I can confirm that in the finest traditions of the Corps, they do not have Carmens Sword Fights :D .

Instead they sit in front of a roaring log fire lobbing very sharp Carmens Rollers at each other whilst regularly re-supplying their ever decreasing glasses of Lagavulin. Which is nice.

(Smashing article by the way and thanks for the kind words on the Lad. He is a top bloke).

Simou said:
I can confirm that Patch won the Carmens Sword as did his Dad (then a Lt too).

As I am his Dad's 9 year old Rottweiler, I can confirm that in the finest traditions of the Corps, they do not have Carmens Sword Fights :D .

Instead they sit in front of a roaring log fire lobbing very sharp Carmens Rollers at each other whilst regularly re-supplying their ever decreasing glasses of Lagavulin. Which is nice.

(Smashing article by the way and thanks for the kind words on the Lad. He is a top bloke).
yeah, but he still owes me a tenner....the barsteward!