Fighting Light.. what is the problem?

Well, if the loads carried are bare essentials, then I’d hate to think what extraneous kit would amount to.
There’s the point. What can be left behind?

One marvelous piece of kit you have now is the Goretex bivvy bag. In most situations I would suggest that is part of belt-order,
It's not small enough for that.

ATMP issued to platoon level.

It's truly insane that the lessons about overburdened soldiers has been a thing since the booties reported on their Afghan experience in 2001.

VSOs dictating uniformity - causing needless deaths since the Romans.

There were also pointless missions and taskings. The Welsh Guards set out to deny a vehicle that had been left after an IED strike. The ATO advised using fast air to drop a 500lb on it. He was ignored.

ATMP issued to platoon level.

See, that's what I (as a civvy) would expect.

Surely you only need to carry on you what you need to fight. Anything else is non-combat, and thus can be carried by mechanised means. You won't be using your sleeping bag in combat, so on the transport it goes.

Of course, I always ask 'What am I missing?' when I say something like that on a subject I'm not very familiar with.

To blow mouseholes into compounds.
How big are the f*****g mice!?
See, that's what I (as a civvy) would expect.

Surely you only need to carry on you what you need to fight. Anything else is non-combat, and thus can be carried by mechanised means. You won't be using your sleeping bag in combat, so on the transport it goes.

Of course, I always ask 'What am I missing?' when I say something like that on a subject I'm not very familiar with.
You forget the tradition of the British infantryman carrying the whole world on his back.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
There really needs to be some thinking goes on. You reference PAYNE. The solution, of course, is logistical support.
The excellent is for the above!

QRK2

LE
You forget the tradition of the Peacetime British infantryman carrying the whole world on his back.

Up to the micromanagement of this century loads quickly became lighter when the fighting started, there's a good piece on it in "Quartered Safe Out Here". Not much more than weapon, ammn, basic rats and (proper) digging tools.

1656232021098.jpeg

1656231762007.png

1656231851028.png

Attachments

• 1656231906222.png
    1656231906222.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Latest Threads