Fighters (Argentine TV Drama about the Falklands War)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rodney2q, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just seen this on youtube, a trailer for an Argentine TV drama about the Falklands War. I wouldn't mind seeing this...

Anyone else know anything about it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Yeah, happened in 1982 I think. We had a disagreement over some islands down there.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 3
  3. I've chatted to a few argies on their arrse, and know a few over here, one of whom fought. Most of them are keen to build bridges, which the bloke seems to be on about.
    However from my experience there is still a huge resentment lingering and a inculcated emotion that the Malvinas are theirs and always will be. Classic indoctrination.
    Be prepared to them to show heavy Brit casualties as they also can't seem to believe that man for man they were totally outclassed in most cases, and a big argument we had was about our 'hiding' the true figures. That brief clip depicting the attack seems to show that they really don't know what close combat was like.
    Watching this would be more for us to understand their pov than to see a balanced series.

Here is episode one.
    Combatientes - HD - Capítulo 01 - YouTube

OK it's in spanish, or even worse argie spanish which is not easy. I'll try to watch it this weekend and get back to you.
  4. There is a complete set out there with English sub-titles, I watched it about 5 months ago. According to the docu-drama the Argentinian 5th Marine Battalion nicknamed the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards the 'Black Panthers' after the Mt Tumbledown attack.
  5. Thanks - I've had some contact with an Argentine veteran over the years and he is a decent bloke. It would be interesting to watch, as you say, just to get the view from the other side of the hill.

6. Do you happen to have the link,i have searched YT but cant locate them.
  7. I'll try again. I searched last night (was going to post the link on here) but couldn't find it
  8. Cheers mucker.
  9. [​IMG]

10. Thanks. I can find the Spanish version but that is it. No sign of it on DVD format either.

11. Guys,

An update. Firstly apologies, I have not seen episodes with sub-titles, I stumbled across an Argy on YouTube who had translated the episodes in the 'comments' section below the video.

The good news, I have been in touch with Tomas Leonhart who produced the musical score, he informs me that a subtitled version, in English, is imminent.
  12. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Actually looks interesting - would be interested in seeing how ts done and if it tries to be impartial...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. I watched the entire series in Spanish , which I comprendo .
    On the whole not that biased , as being govt funded it's more of an attack on the military dictatorship for having sent untrained kids to war . British soldiers do not feature much at all .
    Uniforms etc look realistic , but there is no chain of command in the platoon , the conscripts deal directly with the officer as there are no NCO's in the storyline at all , something Argentines have commented on as well .
    The intro has a fair bit of original footage I had not seen elsewhere , presumably sourced from their TV news vaults
    Fair bit of sex in it as well .
    All in all , a good picture of the problems their veterans went through during and after the war .
    Worth a look when the subtitled version is released .
  14. Thanks mate - I'll keep an eye open for it.