fighter pilot: a pipedream?

Hi i want 2 join the Raf as a pilot, but everyone at school tells me "its just a pipedream". i want to know if anyone can tell anything about the training and requirements and what it is really like? thanks
Mac

C

cloudbuster

You might find that the first stumbling blocks include spelling, grammar, capitalisation, and having enough situational awareness to recognise you're in the wrong environment for sensible answers. Check your private messages.

Edited, because my fcuking Norwegian keybord (ha) can't spell.

cloudbuster said:
You might find that the first stumbling blocks include spelling, grammer, capitalisation, and having enough situational awareness to recognise you're in the wrong environment for sensible answers. Check your private messages.
[Coughs} - hate to be pedantic, but "grammar" surely?

C

cloudbuster

Quite right, Staaken, and can only apologise for the lack of care. I shall amend the offending word right now.

mac_2313 said:
Hi i want 2 join the Raf as a pilot, but everyone at school tells me "its just a pipedream". i want to know if anyone can tell anything about the training and requirements and what it is really like? thanks
Mac
People will try to put you down because they're jealous and want it for themselves.

Manchester_Rogue said:
mac_2313 said:
Mac
People will try to put you down because they're jealous and want it for themselves.
Whats there to be jealous of... apart from flying a 20million pound Fighter Jet at Mach2, dropping bombs wearing a cool flight suit, having loads of chicks and duty free on tap oh and did I say flying a fcuk off fast jet thing with loads of guns n bombs.

But then you do have to have a gay tash and wear white socks...

Go for it!!

mac_2313 said:
i like the sound of flying a copper and killing tanks, whats the lifestyle like?
And pigs might fly.....

If you want to fly a copper, you need to ask in the AGC forum and bend the ear of a monkey.

Well, Mac - like the RAF, but slower. The aircraft I mean. But life in the RAF is a much more pleasant existence (you have to put up with the RAF Police though). AAC wear same babygrow outfits and equal amount of really cool badges. They have the Apache attack thingy now too - should be in service....er....this century.
Talking of pipedreams - Douglas Bader used to have those whilst tootling along in his Spitfire hunting Bosche cabbage crates over the briny. Obviously that was before he went tits up and ended up in Colditz, Sausage Side.
Sorry Mac - if you want to join the 20 minuters, crack on and good luck - ensure you view Blackadder Goes Forth to learn more idiotic but catchy aeronautical lingo from Captain The Lord Flasheart (not the MOD on this site (!), but the one played by Rik Mayall).

Disco said:
Manchester_Rogue said:
mac_2313 said:
Mac
Whats there to be jealous of... apart from flying a 20million pound Fighter Jet at Mach2, dropping bombs wearing a cool flight suit, having loads of chicks and duty free on tap oh and did I say flying a fcuk off fast jet thing with loads of guns n bombs.

But then you do have to have a gay tash and wear white socks...

Go for it!!
Well there's that reason, but what I meant was peoples attitudes towards the forces in general.

A lot of people want to get into the forces but most of them don't have the balls to put themselves forward and join up. It's seen as a "good to do" thing but no one can be arsed to actually join up.

Kid 1: "I'm going to join the marines when I'm big and strong!!!"
Kid 2: "Yeah.. course you are, dreamer! (****... I wanna join the marines too! :(:(:(:( )"
Kid 1: "No really, it'll be ace!"
Kid 2: "What-ever mate! (lucky bugger, I wanna do that to but... ahhh... I can't be arsed! Where's McDonnalds?)"

etc.

Mac,
Ignore the doubters. If you want to be a pilot fight, fight and fight with all your determination to achieve that ambition. I suspect that there are plenty of people on this forum who, like me, bump into old mates who are still working in the same office, with the same faces, doing the same job they were doing when they left school or college. They are often the one's who have a jealous look in their eyes when they hear what we now do for a living. For all it's faults, service life still has some superb rewards, service flying all the more so.

I'm not sure of your age but as a generalisation, if you want to fly in any service (don't discount the FAA or AAC), I would recommend joining the Air Cadets. Although this is obviously biased towards the RAF, it'll give you a general insight into service flying. You'll be able to go on camps to RAF stns and fly fairly regularly in RAF sponsored Air Experience Flts. The Air Cadets also has the nations largest gliding organisation and you'd be able to qualify as a glider pilot when 16. Once 17, you can apply for a flying scholarship where the RAF (or Navy, not sure about the AAC), will pay for the majority of your Private Pilots License.

Try this link for more gen:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/index.html

I suggest you also visit an Armed Forces Careers Office as soon as possible to get more details.

If your mates give you banter, just remember that all pilots in the services were once looking at the job from your perspective.

Life is not a rehearsal. Good luck!

Regards,
MM

Cheers Magic_Mushroom im already in the ATC, 2 years and a half, but im split between RAF, Navy and army, it all depends on my Qualifications but im looking at every job in the military

C

cloudbuster

A quote from Monster Mac, culled from the AAC Doorgunner thread.........
Monster_Mac said:
I'm a Lcpl RS Op currently serving in the Royal Signals, I've been in for 3 1/2 years, and I can't see my self doing this for much longer. The unit and the work has pushed me to consider a new job, top of which is AAC door gunner. I would like to try for pilot selection in the future. However I've found very little information about the job.

The main things I'd like to know is: How difficult an area is this to get into?
What’s the promotion prospect?
Is there good scope to go on to become a pilot?
What’s the posting like?
Any other useful information on the AAC or being a door gunner would be appreciated.

Thank for any help or advice, yours a frustrated scaly.

So, Mac, what's it to be? Scaley or Spacey?

Mac,

Things are tough at the moment in the RAF especially when considering Pilot applications let alone Fast Jets. Of course go for it but make sure you keep your options open and dont become blinded by purely wanting to fly the fast stuff. My experience of Fast Jets is that its not quite all you might think it is! Your Sqn mates dont look or act like Tom Cruise in fact a lot of FJ Sqns are inhabited by the slightly geeky looking, hard working but clever kid from school. FJ are far more mentally taxing than anything else.

As for the training, even when you have you "FJ Wings" people are being re-streamed or even chopped from flying training altogether at fairly regular intervals.

The take home message is avaition is fanastic and you would be stupid not to follow your dream but getting a seat in any aircraft at the moment is a challenge let alone in a Jet.

Good Luck and work hard.