Fight crime, street cleaners told

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, May 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4988580.stm

What a good idea. Lollypop ladies could check tax disks , Council dustmen could report any strange comings and goings at dead-o'clock in the morning , and the meals on wheels service could report any strange gas board officials.

Alternatively , you could just use the Police and Plastic coppers , and stop massaging the way the figures are reported. :censored:

2. Wouldn't work unless people were contractually obliged - nobody in such a position would stick their neck out given the possible repercussions.

If the government were serious about fighting crime they'd put more police officers in the community (not the plastic community ones) and back the police in the courts when an arrest was made.

Years ago when putting together a university project I was given access to police records in the West Midlands. It was quite an eye-opener to find out that less than 1/3 of all reported crime was ever solved and I recall asking the question as to what proportion of those "solved" crimes actually resulted in a punitive penalty for the offender - strangely enough nobody had those statistics :roll:

Someone remind me again - what was it Bliar said years ago "tough on crime..." I'd recommend he spend a few days here in S'pore and view for himself the deterrent effect of a rattan cane :D

lancslad

3. This country is truly a joke!

4. Well, if we were to train the street cleaners in law and police matters, issue them with protective equipment (Helmet, Stab Vest, CS Spray, and trunchon) and uniform them too so you don't try to report a crime to a non qualified street cleaner.

Then maybe give them an office somewhere local to work from, somewhere you could report crime to like those old police stations that used to be open 24 hours a day, and take them off street cleaning duties.

Maybe, just maybe it would work