Fifty soldiers a month lost to wounds in Afghanistan

#1
Fifty soldiers a month lost to wounds in Afghanistan

By Chris Hughes 7/12/2009

British commanders are losing nearly 50 troops every month because of battle wounds in Afghanistan.

The statistics leaked to the Mirror cover April to October and show that for every soldier killed in Helmand Province, seven are being injured by the enemy. The worst month was July during the bloody Panther's Claw operation with 94 troops being wounded and treated at Camp Bastion's field hospital.
More
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...st-to-wounds-in-afghanistan-115875-21878860/?
 
A

ALVIN

Guest
#2
This is information the M.O.D did not want the public to see (hence the leak.)
The fact that M.O.D would not publish this data to the public disturbes me and is proof that they do indeed have things to hide. :evil:
 
#3
kinda puts the "Extra 500" troops into perspective

Every man thrown back to the UK on a medevac should have every possible NHS service laid at their feet

If the Government are not willing to do this they should not engage in this conflict
 
#4
thegimp said:
kinda puts the "Extra 500" troops into perspective

Every man thrown back to the UK on a medevac should have every possible NHS service laid at their feet

If the Government are not willing to do this they should not engage in this conflict
I agree fully but that is only happening whilst they remain in service and no budget or training seems to be in place to deal with troops when they leave the service and are back in the NHS system. There are Physiotherapists and Occupational Theosophists who have never seen or have experience of or had special training in the type and severity of injuries and wounds now turning up at local level in the NHS.

Hitback is trying to get a campaign moving 'One Common Cause' which will make a start in dealing with this problem. However he needs support from serving and ex service troops to push forward this campaign If in particular serving personnel will not make the effort to help their wounded ex service colleagues then the politicians wont.
 
A

ALVIN

Guest
#5
How about the M.O.D failing to educate recruits at any stage about "Battlefield trauma" and it's long term effect, on the grounds that it would frighten most potential recruits away?
Is this not cheating potential recruits of H.M. Forces??
 
#6
I remember the first time I went for an interview with my ACA his first comment was "3 soldiers from my regiment were sitting where you are, two of whom had just lost limbs in Afghanistan".

It ws always clear to me that there was a high probability of being wounded.
 
#7
I would be interested to know how many of the 50 a month actually return back to frontline action. Also the number of those that would of died from wounds received but are actually surviving due to advances in the field trauma care.

If it wasn't for the immediate care the injured get at Bastion I think the death toll could be a lot higher.

Edited for mong spelling
 
#8
S/Sgt Schmid's Wife brought this up last night on " Newsnight" talking to Kirtsty Walk, a quit moving interview
 

spad

War Hero
#9
ALVIN said:
How about the M.O.D failing to educate recruits at any stage about "Battlefield trauma" and it's long term effect, on the grounds that it would frighten most potential recruits away?
Is this not cheating potential recruits of H.M. Forces??
unless you joined between gulf 1 and september 11 you will know whats been happening, you dont join the army thinking no one will get hurt!
and if you did think like that basic would sort you out with in a week or 2!
and as for the long term effects every one knows how hard it would be to loose a limb or 3, what most people dont want to think about is if its them that looses them!

another labour supporter dumbing eveything down i fear!
 
#10
re-stilly said:
I would be interested to know how many of the 50 a month actually return back to frontline action. Also the number of those that would of died from wounds received but are actually surviving due to advances in the field trauma care.
Full and frank disclosure? You're having a laugh incher?
 
#11
thegimp said:
Every man thrown back to the UK on a medevac should have every possible NHS service laid at their feet

If the Government are not willing to do this they should not engage in this conflict
I don't actually agree with that for several reasons.

Firstly,I don't belive a British soldier should have to be in an NHS hospital. The military had a network of hospitals UK wide that have all been closed down and sold off to property developers.

Wounds aquired in conflict are very different to those a civilian suffers. There is normally a lot of trauma, both physically and mentally, and I do not believe the NHS have the specialist staff needed to understand this.

I also do not think the NHS have the right environment for wounded soldiers. Once wounded, they are removed from there mates, that close knit family of the regiment, and placed in a strange hospital, with no military infrastucture and total unfamiliarity.


I think the governments (now and in the past) have failed military personnel by removing hospitals and care and placing the responsibility with an already over stretched NHS.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
So, based on those statistics, is it likely that we've had 700 injured in Afghan this year?

If so, it quite clearly shows up the manning issue, and makes a mockery of Brown's 500 extras.
 
#14
Here's an interesting slant, battlefield suspended animation

All I can say is, that if it helps save lives, we want it as soon as it's available.

It has all the hallmarks of a military orientated sytem that will have a great spin off into civvy street.
 
#15
At AOSB they show a video about training to be an officer, which includes a still of a recently killed Lt while he was at the Main Board (in bib and suit), and then the picture of his coffin being loaded into the plane at Bastion. Quite stirring imagery.

The 7 to 1 ratio is surely a testament to our ability to evacuate the wounded and their medical care, this is the only war with that much seperation between Killed:Wounded.

We can only hope that this war might bring some positive side-effects on prosthetic limbs, in the same way that RAF pilots helped the improvement of skin-grafts following WWII.
 
#16
Exwing said:
At AOSB they show a video about training to be an officer, which includes a still of a recently killed Lt while he was at the Main Board (in bib and suit), and then the picture of his coffin being loaded into the plane at Bastion. Quite stirring imagery.

The 7 to 1 ratio is surely a testament to our ability to evacuate the wounded and their medical care, this is the only war with that much seperation between Killed:Wounded.

We can only hope that this war might bring some positive side-effects on prosthetic limbs, in the same way that RAF pilots helped the improvement of skin-grafts following WWII.
But with a greater number living will they be looked after when they return to civil life? Previous experience would indicate that they will be forgotten and that is why I urge you all to visit the thread

ONE COMMON CAUSE and act on it.
 
#17
Further to KnightsofRowallan's post above, the actual stats can be found at:

http://www.dasa.mod.uk/applications...=0&PublishTime=09:30:00&from=home&tabOption=1

These are published on the DASA website every two weeks, two weeks in arrears (not bad a turn-round time). Not impressed with the Mirror's standard of reporting: these figures were published on 27 November.

By the way, veterans are entitled to receive priority treatment on NHS. I'm not sure exactly who is entitled nor what's meant by "priority" and , sadly, I'm not surprised if NHS doesn't always get it right to deliver this. I'll try and find out how to get it sorted if it goes wrong. I'll post details if I find anything useful.

[Edited to correct typos]
 
#18
vampangua said:
Further to KnightsofRowallan's post above, the actual stats can be found at:

http://www.dasa.mod.uk/applications...=0&PublishTime=09:30:00&from=home&tabOption=1

These are published on the DASA website every two weeks, two weeks in arrears (not bad a turn-round time). Not impressed with the Mirror's standard of reporting: these figures were published on 27 November.

By the way, veterans are entitled to receive priority treatment on NHS. I'm not sure exactly who is entitled nor what's meant by "priority" and , sadly, I'm not surprised if NHS doesn't always get it right to deliver this. I'll try and find out how to get it sorted if it goes wrong. I'll post details if I find anything useful.

[Edited to correct typos]
But little point in getting priority treatment if the expertise or budget does not allow for adequate treatment at local level when you get there!

I posted this earlier

I agree fully but that is only happening whilst they remain in service and no budget or training seems to be in place to deal with troops when they leave the service and are back in the NHS system. There are Physiotherapists and Occupational Theosophists who have never seen or have experience of or had special training in the type and severity of injuries and wounds now turning up at local level in the NHS.

Hitback is trying to get a campaign moving 'One Common Cause' which will make a start in dealing with this problem. However he needs support from serving and ex service troops to push forward this campaign If in particular serving personnel will not make the effort to help their wounded ex service colleagues then the politicians wont.

Can you tell us otherwise?
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#19
vampangua said:
I'm not sure exactly who is entitled nor what's meant by "priority" and , sadly, I'm not surprised if NHS doesn't always get it right to deliver this. I'll try and find out how to get it sorted if it goes wrong. I'll post details if I find anything useful.
here y'go:

SOURCE
Legion welcomes priority care plans

More veterans will benefit thanks to new NHS directive

Published: 27 November 2007
Veterans can now see their GPs more quickly

Five million more veterans are set to receive priority health treatment following a new NHS directive. The directive will extend current fast-track access so that veterans who are not in receipt of a war pension, but who have a medical condition related to their armed forces service, are entitled to priority treatment. Previously, only veterans with war pensions were eligible.
Priority treatment only applies to conditions that are related to service, and will not allow veterans to take precedence over civilian patients with more urgent clinical need.

The Government also announced its plans to help veterans with PTSD by launching a community-based pilot scheme.

The announcement was welcomed by the Legion, and is an important breakthrough in its national ‘Honour the Covenant’ campaign.

The Legion’s Director General, Chris Simpkins, said. "This is a major gain in our campaign to Honour the Covenant, and welcome news for veterans and pensioners.

"We'll be working with the NHS to improve awareness of priority treatment among health care providers and veterans and to monitor the impact of this announcement in providing actual delivery in the clinical setting. We'll also be calling upon members of the serving and ex-service community to hold the Government to this commitment."
and

SOURCE
On leaving the Armed Forces, you will need to register with your local NHS GP. Make sure that your GP has the information they need about your current health. You should have a summary record of your health history given to you on discharge, along with details about how your GP can obtain your medical records.
If you have a health problem that you think is related to your service in the Armed Forces, you may wish to raise this with your GP – they may be able to get you referred more quickly for any hospital care that is needed (but please note that this is subject to the clinical needs of others). NHS Choices at www.nhs.uk or NHS Direct on 0845 4647 can help you identify GPs in your area.
The MOD is working with the NHS to ensure that the NHS will be able to maintain and replace the prostheses of amputees discharged from the Armed Forces in future. You should be informed of these arrangements on discharge.
Not clear how many GPs may be aware.
 
#20
We've got what, roughly 10 000 troops out there? If in 2009 we suffered roughly 100 KIA and 1200 or so WIA and non-battle casualties, that's a pretty serious rate of attrition. Even if you only take into consideration those WIA that's something around the 500 mark due to enemy action or 5%
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Top