Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

FIFA World Cup 2018

Do Arrsers believe that it is a dead cert that England will be knocked out in the next stage of the tournament? I understand it to be that no matter what the result against Belgium is next week, we have made it though to the next stage. Am I correct here, or am I talking bollocks?

Not from me: I think they're pretty much assured to progress. No one that they'll likely face is up to beating them bar a freak result.

Do Arrsers believe that it is a dead cert that England will be knocked out in the next stage of the tournament? I understand it to be that no matter what the result against Belgium is next week, we have made it though to the next stage. Am I correct here, or am I talking bollocks?
We're through to the knockout stages, but all depends on who and how we play if we go through to the quarter finals.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm sitting watching the Columbia/ Poland game and admittedly the Poles are poor, but Columbia are tearing them apart. England's defence hasn't been tested yet, so I can't comment on them, but Columbia have pace and skill which will frighten any defence.
I haven't followed football in many years now, but even I can see that England are very poor in defence. Especially in regards to a counter attack.
I don't know whether this is because of the 3-5-1 formation, or because England are just lacking in world class defenders.

England are definitely into the next round. They'll play someone from the Poland/Colombia/Senegal/Japan group in the next round so although it won't be easy for England they should go into the match as favourites but any of their potential opponents have the capability to hurt them.

England are definitely into the next round. They'll play someone from the Poland/Colombia/Senegal/Japan group in the next round so although it won't be easy for England they should go into the match as favourites although any of their potential opponents have the capability to hurt them.

Having watched them all I don't think they'll even slightly hurt England. I reckon it'll be the quarters when any meaningful challenge arrives..

Fantastic performance by Colombia tonight, a joy to watch.
To borrow the words of the late, great Jock Stein; " We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football."
The fans were amazing too. Cant believe so many Colombians made the trip. Brilliant!

I think any team playing Poland will look good on their current form*. They don't look like they can be arsed.

*I confidently expect to be proven wrong by Japan making hard work of getting a draw.

Last edited:
Having watched them all I don't think they'll even slightly hurt England. I reckon it'll be the quarters when any meaningful challenge arrives..
TBH, I only started to watch football again during this World Cup, because I felt left out of the conversation in the Tea Room at work. All of my colleagues seem to be football mad. And it's a tad embarrassing, when female officers, half my age, know more about the modern game than I do!
However, the Spain v Portugal, and the Argie v Croatia game have been absolutely brilliant to watch.

I haven't followed football in many years now, but even I can see that England are very poor in defence. Especially in regards to a counter attack.
I don't know whether this is because of the 3-5-1 formation, or because England are just lacking in world class defenders.

I think it might be something to do with the fact that they are paid such obscene amounts of money and live in a world so totally divorced from the realities of normal life that they really don't give a shit one way or the other. We'll crash out against some remote archipelago with a population of a football team and two spares and Kane and his bezzers will be snorting coke off a whores buttocks before the stadium cleaners get their brooms out. Cnuts, the lot of them.