FIFA World Cup 2018

I think it might be something to do with the fact that they are paid such obscene amounts of money and live in a world so totally divorced from the realities of normal life that they really don't give a shit one way or the other. We'll crash out against some remote archipelago with a population of a football team and two spares and Kane and his bezzers will be snorting coke off a whores buttocks before the stadium cleaners get their brooms out. Cnuts, the lot of them.
Normally I'd agree with you. The money in the modern game is one of the things that turned me off.
However, the England team that I watched play this afternoon played with professionalism, and passion.
They could have sat back and just coasted along when they were 3-0 up but they didn't. Imho they all looked like they were 'game on'. Whether, they will have that attitude against far better opposition remains to be seen mate.

I really hope that if the team do get as far as the quarters or even the semis and get knocked out, that the team are held up and praised. This is one of the most positive England sides that I can remember, even the Manager can be praised.

So much better than the Rooney/Terry and even the Beckham years. We have been asking for a group of players who are proud to wear the England shirt and it seems like we finally have it.
There are some weaknesses but the strengths are clear to see and that makes a nice change.

I am not claiming that they are going to win anything, but it does feel like they are a better England team and manager than we have seen for many years.

Normally I'd agree with you. The money in the modern game is one of the things that turned me off.
However, the England team that I watched play this afternoon played with professionalism, and passion.
They could have sat back and just coasted along when they were 3-0 up but they didn't. Imho they all looked like they were 'game on'. Whether, they will have that attitude against far better opposition remains to be seen mate.
I've long been of the opinion that for the lottery salaries that these people are paid, some element of risk should be introduced to the game. Along with MOTM, the least impressive player should be selected by judicial vote, taken into the centre circle, blindfolded and shot in the back of the head.

It should sharpen their professionalism and give them the sort of passion that wins tournaments, not just gets them away on a jolly for a few weeks.

I think it might be something to do with the fact that they are paid such obscene amounts of money and live in a world so totally divorced from the realities of normal life that they really don't give a shit one way or the other. We'll crash out against some remote archipelago with a population of a football team and two spares and Kane and his bezzers will be snorting coke off a whores buttocks before the stadium cleaners get their brooms out. Cnuts, the lot of them.
That falls down when the players on some of the highest salaries in football, have actually put in some excellent performances (Modric, Rakatic, Hernandez, Lingard, Kane, etc).

It's easy to schimpf about their pay, whilst ignoring that in some respects that pay causes them to contribute more to the UK (in premier league based players) than we do.

Last edited:
Jesus, I just woke up and though it was early Monday morning and I'd left the windows open all night!..Scary!

I really hope that if the team do get as far as the quarters or even the semis and get knocked out, that the team are held up and praised. This is one of the most positive England sides that I can remember, even the Manager can be praised.

So much better than the Rooney/Terry and even the Beckham years. We have been asking for a group of players who are proud to wear the England shirt and it seems like we finally have it.
There are some weaknesses but the strengths are clear to see and that makes a nice change.

I am not claiming that they are going to win anything, but it does feel like they are a better England team and manager than we have seen for many years.
We seem to be able to keep possession of the ball a lot more these days too. I haven't, so far, seen any of the previous typical England tactic of playing the long ball up to the forwards.

Agree with your post. my take on it is that England don't have a super star, like Beckham or Rooney. Southgate has so far played the press well, allowing them access to the players and avoiding the stupid headlines that have plagued England teams for decades. The team seem to want to play together without the club rivalries that have blighted previous tournaments. I don't think we have the quality to win the tournament, but if the squad play well and progress to the latter stages, they will be well thought of on their return. I think Southgate should take great credit and I hope whatever the result he gets to take England to the next European Champs. as this team is still young and has the potential to get better.

Bovine Excrement. This is the best England Team in years(OK, that may be damning them with faint praise). I don't think they'll win, but on present form there is no team in the World Cup who can afford to take them lightly. And there is not a single shred of evidence to suggest they are less than committed to playing their very best.

Agree with your post. my take on it is that England don't have a super star, like Beckham or Rooney. Southgate has so far played the press well, allowing them access to the players and avoiding the stupid headlines that have plagued England teams for decades. The team seem to want to play together without the club rivalries that have blighted previous tournaments. I don't think we have the quality to win the tournament, but if the squad play well and progress to the latter stages, they will be well thought of on their return. I think Southgate should take great credit and I hope whatever the result he gets to take England to the next European Champs. as this team is still young and has the potential to get better.
Kane is well on his way to reaching superstar status.

I've long been of the opinion that for the lottery salaries that these people are paid, some element of risk should be introduced to the game. Along with MOTM, the least impressive player should be selected by judicial vote, taken into the centre circle, blindfolded and shot in the back of the head.

It should sharpen their professionalism and give them the sort of passion that wins tournaments, not just gets them away on a jolly for a few weeks.
You are the living embodiment of Kim ll Sung. And I claim my free five wons.

Oh oh. A footie win against the worst World Cup side ever and a win in the cricket that we almost threw away.

Our fickle press will have us World cup finalists and cricket elite. How soon before the comparison between this bunch and the team of '66+
I think some people (circa 60m Englishmen) are getting somewhat carried away. Frankly, that defence will get drubbed if Belgium play their strongest team. We will probably progress regardless, even to the last eight whereupon the second drubbing will return us to reality, but it would be a lot better if Southgate would man up and give Sterling his ticket home and send Danny Rose with him for company. Rose doesn't look either fit or well - and as for Sterling, he is pretty rubishio in an England shirt.

At last, thank god, the press are leaving them be - no silly we’re going to win it headlines... yet.
I’ll reserve judgement on that until I’ve seen the tabloid headlines tomorrow.
Anyone following the odds on England? I suspect the bookies have slashed their odds following today’s performance.