FIFA World Cup 2018

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm fucced , drawn S Korea in the winning pool draw. Bugger.
Consider yourself lucky, I got England. I've already kissed that tenner goodbye!

lot of negativity towards England, despite us playing attacking and fluid football, with big lashes of youth

just enjoy the ride and the wider stuff in the world cup

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

England are shocking. Absolutely no intent and a preponderance on shape and organisation rather than actually attacking, risking a pass forward or two etc.

When will we learn that breaking lines and pressuring their back line allows us to step up 15 yards without even breaking sweat. It's basics. We appear to think that winning the passing in our own half is going to win matches.

Quarter finals at best. Great innit?

England are shocking. Absolutely no intent and a preponderance on shape and organisation rather than actually attacking, risking a pass forward or two etc.

When will we learn that breaking lines and pressuring their back line allows us to step up 15 yards without even breaking sweat. It's basics. We appear to think that winning the passing in our own half is going to win matches.

Quarter finals at best. Great innit?
I concur, we spent a lot of time last night passing sideways and backwards in our own half, plenty of possession but hardly worried their defence. Rashford took his goal well but Dele Alli was shooting for goal not crossing for Danny Welbeck IMO.

it would also help if at least one player in the team could put a decent high cross, at speed, into the opposition box.

I'm glad that Ikea are well stocked on glasses that are half empty

I'm glad that Ikea are well stocked on glasses that are half empty

We always over hype the squad every time we qualify and I've been as guilty as anyone of raising my expectations to an unrealistic level. This time round I've decided to keep my expectations down so that any advance past the group stages will be greeted with glee and euphoria.

(I've never rated Southgate since he destroyed Middlesborough but to his credit he's gone with a youthful squad who I hope do him credit. If he lets them play exciting attacking football I'd rather they lost in a high scoring game than play like they did last night.)

This caught my eye:

World Cup 2018: Spain sack manager Julen Lopetegui two days before first match

"Spain sacked head coach Julen Lopetegui after he was named the new Real Madrid boss - two days before their opening World Cup match against Portugal. . . "

Spanish FA having a bit of a moment, there?[/QUOTE/]

It was announced a few days ago, so the Spanish FA can hardly pretend to be surprised at the news. At first sight, it does seem like a silly thing to do, but I've seen him described as the Iberian David Moyes, so perhaps there's method in their perceived madness?

I thought I’d get in early.... England to beat Brazil to take the final 2-1, and Vardy to win the Golden Boot:meditate:
B42EF7CB-BB0D-4CE8-80AE-BC08CCFCC09B.jpeg

I’d hold that bet for now - bus in short stay parking so they will be back in 24 hours......

Is this bad news for the players? Are they likely to be upset/shocked by this?
The omens can't be good: Lopetegui had a no-loss record in the 2 years in charge of Spain and it seems that the senior Spanish players were keen for him to stay.

OTOH, Fernando Hierro is taking charge, who's something of a World Cup icon for Spain. As Sporting Director, he will at least know the team.

But 2 days?! That's some poisoned chalice, is that!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Kicks off tomorrow so tonight I suppose I had better look out my A.B.E. Shirt! :p

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Is this bad news for the players? Are they likely to be upset/shocked by this?
Over the years the UK's sporting teams have done just about everything to shackle their teams in major competitions, but I don't think they have ever been so self destructive to sack their manager on the eve of the competition!

The Spanish dressing room will be some place! "The beatings will stop when morale improves" could be on their minds!