FIFA World Cup 2018

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You were talking about Wales I believe. We also know we have a crap team and have very low expectations. Just every now and then.......................................
Then again, even when England got knocked out and Wales progressed the score in the national press averaged 10 articles to England for every one of Wales.
Unlike the rugby where it comes at 20 articles to 1. An England defeat to the Saffers scored a dozen articles whereas Wales beating them got about 3 column inches.
And a narrow victory against Tunisia in the dying minutes? We no have Kane being given almost God like status and England will sweep all before them.
No wonder the England supporters think they have a great team. The rest of us are used to disappointment whereas it comes as a complete surprise to the English when they fail to make the group stages (again) but will still remind everyone they won it 52 years ago.
Actually I wasn't, which is why I got picked up it:cool:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That would be cracking it should be a rule that either a UK team, or, a qualifying group jof the home nations. I'd love it...

I think that happened once - the old home international championship was also a qualifying group for either the WC or the Euros?
World Cup qualification for the 1950 & 1954 tournaments

The Home Nations had been in dispute with FIFA during the 1920s and withdrew from the organisation. After the war, FIFA wanted the Home Nations back in the fold, and offered the winners of the Home Championship a slot in the 1950 World Cup, and to add to the attraction, said that the 2nd placed side would also be given a slot. This was probably one of the easiest qualifying opportunities in history (because no home and away fixtures, just 3 games).

For some reason, the Chairman of the SFA declared that Scotland would only attend the World Cup if they won the Home Championship. In the last game of the tournament, at Hampden, against England, they only needed a draw to end up as joint champions (goal difference/goal average wasn't taken into account at that point) - and lost 1-0.

The Scottish players begged the SFA to send a team; Billy Wright (England captain) said he thought the Scots should go; the FA (who'd made clear they'd go even if they were 2nd) said that they'd like to see the Scots in the tournament... and the Chairman of the SFA said that they'd given their word and that was that.

They didn't make the same mistake in 1954 (qualifying as runners-up in the Home Championship).

The qualifying format then changed for the 1958 tournament, which is why all four Home Nations made it to the finals.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought you'd have gone for this one:-

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I'm lucky enough to remember that 1970 World Cup and it was the best ever, well I can't remember 66 and we had a colour telly.
Never forget England beating West Germany only for Ramsey to substitute Bobby Charlton so he'd be fresher for the semi. Well it then went to rat shit and Gerd Muller made Peter Bonneti look more like a prat than a cat. Cat been his nickname. And that was it we were out.
But the final Brazil v Italy was brilliant entertaining world class one way football with great goals. I honestly think that Brazil team was the best team ever, however we could discuss that for a 100 years and still we wouldn't agree, that's the beauty of football.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought you'd have gone for this one:-

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Obviously i am not that au fait with English fan songs!

Ally's Army was better - we actually thought we were in with a chance.
I think you are thinking of 74 (West Germany). 78 Was Peru, Holland and Iran. We lost to Peru, drew with Iran and beat Holland (went on to the final). 74 I believe we were the only unbeaten team in the finals, but went out on goal difference.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Save my Google-fu inadequacies - is there a list of the World Cup fixtures scheduled for Kaliningrad ? grateful for a linky. Ta.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ta - that was easy .

England Vs Belgium 28th June :):thumright:

Come on the Ikea Works Team :)

Lukaku going for the golden boot. Hope his ankle doesn't give out... that would be terrible...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
England have to put on a good performance tomorrow.
Belgium are doing their goal difference a world of good, Lukaku is looking very sharp in front of goal, as @Señor_Chang said, just look what he can do with the right service.
I hope Jose is watching this game, might buck his ideas up with regards to type of player Utd need and how to play such players.
I'm hoping Lukaku gets a hat trick.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer