FIFA World Cup 2018

I do remember it, I even invaded the pitch two weeks later.

So... Henderson and Trippier were very good, Kane's continuing his excellent form from the regular season, and Lingard, Rashford and Loftus-Cheek were all moving very dangerously, if Lingard was (charitably) unlucky. Dele Alli and Sterling should have been subbed off earlier. Walker needs to be more careful.

If they can play against better teams like they did for the first twenty-five minutes they might pleasantly surprise.

On a bum note, they were slow to change things up when it was clear Alli wasn't firing on all cylinders, England spent a good forty minutes doing... not a lot and other teams will have noted that you can body slam Kane in the area and the refs don't mind.

Last edited:
Good start, what happened to VAR though?

So... Henderson and Trippier were very good, Kane's continuing his excellent form from the regular season, and Lingard, Rashford and Loftus-Cheek were all moving very dangerously, if Lingard was (charitably) unlucky. Dele Alli and Sterling should have been subbed off earlier. Walker needs to be more careful.

If they can play against better teams like they did for the first twenty-five minutes they might pleasantly surprise.
quite liked mcguire's venturing runs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VAR not being used for those two Kane incidents shows it's fallability. The ref has had a mare too, someone needs to have a word with him, or remove him from the officiating list, terrible!

England need to look to themselves, they almost threw that away. Delli Ali being allowed to hobble through that second half was a very risky tactic by Southgate and could have made his injury worse? Luckily they got away with it, but i doubt any of the big boys will be too concerned having seen that performance. Belgium will run us ragged if the players intensity drops, as it did tonight, but it might not matter if Panama can be put to the sword?

quite liked mcguire's venturing runs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Maybe. I'm wary of defenders swanning off down the pitch. Look what happened to ze Germans.

On a bum note, they were slow to change things up when it was clear Alli wasn't firing on all cylinders, .
I was surprised when he came out for the second half considering how he was running at half speed after 20 minutes. Also Sterling was dog toffee again and Rashford should have started IMO.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was surprised when he came out for the second half considering how he was running at half speed after 20 minutes. Also Sterling was dog toffee again and Rashford should have started IMO.
He probably will against against Panama, very strange though to keep Ali on who was clearly not 100%.
Not convinced about Stones though, the Belgiums after their warm up game will be a different proposition all together. I thought Trippier was pretty good showed a bit of flair going forward, Young struggled to pass that final ball when in a position to do just that.
Quite a bit to do but it makes a change to get a result in the first game.

Let’s hope they don’t run into Mexico or they are in real trouble..............

He probably will against against Panama, very strange though to keep Ali on who was clearly not 100%.
Not convinced about Stones though, the Belgiums after their warm up game will be a different proposition all together. I thought Trippier was pretty good showed a bit of flair going forward, Young struggled to pass that final ball when in a position to do just that.
Quite a bit to do but it makes a change to get a result in the first game.
We saw a forty minute repeat of the second half against Iceland. Very fortunate that Macgire and Loftus Cheek injected some motivatio in the last five minutes....but why oh why do we do this so regularly....not convinced about Kane as das kapitan.....need a more ballsy (unintentional pun) type.

Sterling should just go home, Rashford, Vardy, Kane (and Sturridge if he is there) should be enough up front. Lofty Cheek is a solid bit of stuff, Henderson.....wish he knew more about which direction was the opposing goal, Trippy was a trier, Young should go back on the bench, Rosebud and Walker would be a good back pair, Deir should get his chance against the Panami's.....will need to build on the winning start .....a young team, if they get a couple of games into the kockout they will have done well and be set for the Euros.

I suppose it's better for England to play Panama after Belgium because who tops the group may depend on who scores more goals against Panama.

I think he must know about some skeletons in Southgate's cupboard, that or they're bum chums. He persists in starting him and he constantly fails to produce.
Quite.....the lack of leadership on the field (Mousey Kane) and Southgate's seeming inability to make timely and decisive changes will probably be their undoing.......which will be forgiven/overlooked if a quarter final game is reached or the team do well in the attempt.

Kane's clearly captain because the FA want to stop him crying about the goal claiming piss taking. He shows absolutely no leadership whatsoever on the field.

Henderson might not be the most popular player England have ever had but he's ten times the captain.