FIFA World Cup 2018

VAR, or whatever the hell it's called is going to ruin the game that we've loved.
If it's going to be constantly reviewed by those folks back in the bunker, rather than when the on field referee isn't 100% sure that he has got a decision right.
Disagree. I don't think VAR's been wrong on a single decision it's been used for so far. It's going to take time to get 100% right but it's going in the right direction.

TV and newspaper pundits claiming Neymar was fouled 10 times in the last match, but if you watch most of them, it wasn't through targeting him like claimed, it's because he's making moves that other players can't keep up with or deliberately running into players who are too slow to move. At one point, he tried to go through 3 players and got "fouled". What does the ref want them to do? teleport out of the way?

As much as I admire the skill, sometimes the top players buy fouls too easily.

My block. Wrong tense, well as far as this dinosaur is concerned, it's already been ruined a long time ago. Back along, ITV lead up before the football started, Mickey Thomas (sorry sheep shaggers) lying on ground caught winking into the camera! Pundits, some of whom have played at international level, talking about "professional fouls, taking one for the team," blah, blah. Crap! Cheating!!! Dress it up anyway you like, if your opponent has beaten you, and you try to disguise this in anyway whatsoever, you are a cheat! Perhaps if this had been discouraged, clamped down on back then, it would be easier for the ref to spot these cheats now, and there would be no need for VAR!?[/QUOTE

The one thing I would like to see VAR doing is catching the cheats who constantly pull shirts, nudge and hold opponents in the penalty box under the excuse "we just need to check where they are"...still cheating.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
My block. Wrong tense, well as far as this dinosaur is concerned, it's already been ruined a long time ago. Back along, ITV lead up before the football started, Mickey Thomas (sorry sheep shaggers) lying on ground caught winking into the camera! Pundits, some of whom have played at international level, talking about "professional fouls, taking one for the team," blah, blah. Crap! Cheating!!! Dress it up anyway you like, if your opponent has beaten you, and you try to disguise this in anyway whatsoever, you are a cheat! Perhaps if this had been discouraged, clamped down on back then, it would be easier for the ref to spot these cheats now, and there would be no need for VAR!?
It's also fecking annoying when these forwards go down because they felt something. The pundits saying "he's entitled to go down there and it's a penalty" even though it's the slightest of slight touches when the defender is obviously just mm from the ball. I honestly don't know why players shake hands at the beginning of a match, be it at the World Cup or in the PL because as soon as they kick off so called sportsmanship goes out the window.
You know I'd hate to bump into these players on a busy high street, it would be littered with injured bodies waiting for ambulances, the fragile things.

Its no more a 'sport' now than WWF - its just entertainment
Interesting observations on hairstyles during the Germany game from hubby who does not do football, having been raised an egg-chaser.

'Don't German hairdressers have the same sense of humour as British ones?'

It was a good point. Not a topknot or manbun or silly shaven pattern to be seen

Football. It's for hairdressers.

It's also fecking annoying when these forwards go down because they felt something. The pundits saying "he's entitled to go down there and it's a penalty" even though it's the slightest of slight touches when the defender is obviously just mm from the ball. I honestly don't know why players shake hands at the beginning of a match, be it at the World Cup or in the PL because as soon as they kick off so called sportsmanship goes out the window.
You know I'd hate to bump into these players on a busy high street, it would be littered with injured bodies waiting for ambulances, the fragile things.
I'd like to see them play shinty, fat chance. It's a bit like hockey, only the cayman, stick, is not limited to how high it can be used. Quite a few players still don't wear a helmet! Seen a boy getting whacked on the calf, don't wear shinguards either. He hirpled over to the edge of the pitch, lay down on the wet grass, trainer gave the magic sponge treatment and back up to run it off.

I'd like to see them play shinty, fat chance. It's a bit like hockey, only the cayman, stick, is not limited to how high it can be used. Quite a few players still don't wear a helmet! Seen a boy getting whacked on the calf, don't wear shinguards either. He hirpled over to the edge of the pitch, lay down on the wet grass, trainer gave the magic sponge treatment and back up to run it off.
It's not about injury though, despite damage to fingernails and eyelashes. It's about 'winning' a free kick or a penalty by bamboozling the ref.

Hmmm gamesmanship/ fooling the officials is inevitable to some degree in any professional sport.

Observation on Sweden/Korea
Nearly a 100 years of television technology and they still haven't come up with an imaging system that can handle big differences in brightness levels.

That Swedish teamsheet reads like an IKEA catalogue, which is handy, as most of their side play like wooden furniture, Forsberg aside...Still should have enough to see off S. Korea, who will play like their life depends on it.

poor game so far and a good chance of this being a 0-0

Sweden are the better team but can't score for toffee, not sure how they missed that point blank opportunity. Germany should be able to overcome the Mexico loss to get 6 points against these lot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

poor game so far and a good chance of this being a 0-0

Sweden are the better team but can't score for toffee, not sure how they missed that point blank opportunity. Germany should be able to overcome the Mexico loss to get 6 points against these lot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mind you both sides might be thinking after the German defeat and working out the permutations of results
" our best chance of qualifying is to avoid defeat in this one"

(Warning: this post by MarshalVauban may contain over-thinking)

Yes clear penalty