FIFA World Cup 2018

And - it would seem - VERY GENEROUS, insisting on hugging and whispering in the ear of EVERY player, official, manager, and groundsman ;) .

(Typical ephusive "American". No "reserve").

Last edited:
It is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is a political affiliation between the Union of England and Scotland (act of Union 1707) - an earlier act, (1536) united England and Wales. The relative statute law that brought NI into this arrangement is contained as an amendment to the Government of Ireland Act somewhere around 1920 that enabled NI politicians to opt for a devolved government subject to the sovereignty of Westminster in specific issues. The NI government is given its legitimacy under Westminster statute..
Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales. It is a place name
The British Isles [ncludes Ireland, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Shetland, Orkney, and thousands of smaller islands. It is a geographical term.

Edit: apart from that its simple init?
Having done a bit more research, I found this video about the whole situation on Youtube to be a lot more easier to digest.

Tk
Some French yobs take the opportunity to loot a few shops during the World Cup celebrations.

C`est La Vie I guess.
World Cup celebrations turn violent
Standard practice in France. Les casseurs/yobs spoil it for everyone be it a sporting celebration, demonstration or New Year. Looting, burning cars and smashing bus shelters. Then the CRS fire tear gas and pile in. Too bad if you are an innocent bystander, like my daughter who got gassed on a peaceful student demonstration a couple of years ago or my eldest who was on the Champs Elysées last night. When the chairs and bottles started flying he and his mates high tailed it home. Other son has just woken up, he was in the fanzone at the Champ de Mars then celebrating through the night. Still no sign of daughter! Moi, I had to get up early for work so was sensible last night!

Tk

Standard practice in France. Les casseurs/yobs spoil it for everyone be it a sporting celebration, demonstration or New Year. Looting, burning cars and smashing bus shelters. Then the CRS fire tear gas and pile in. Too bad if you are an innocent bystander, like my daughter who got gassed on a peaceful student demonstration a couple of years ago or my eldest who was on the Champs Elysées last night. When the chairs and bottles started flying he and his mates high tailed it home. Other son has just woken up, he was in the fanzone at the Champ de Mars then celebrating through the night. Still no sign of daughter! Moi, I had to get up early for work so was sensible last night!
Plus ca change, etc. A schoolmate of mine came back from Paris c1956 with a press cutting headed something like, "Gallant CRS break up communist riots", showing him disappearing round a corner legging it like a cartoon character. We were proud of him as he'd just come out of an estaminet after seeing off a bottle of vin plonk.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Puts them on par with La Resistance and some of the SOE - great who the **** decided that Edith Cavell should share a page with Paul ******* Pogba?
Macron? He does need the votes, after all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Puts them on par with La Resistance and some of the SOE - great who the **** decided that Edith Cavell should share a page with Paul ******* Pogba?
There are several grades of the Legion. Just like our British Empire lot.
And it's not as if our footballers, managers, rugby managers et al don't get rather high honours, do they.

Sir Winston Churchill or Sir Alf Ramsey anyone?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Drink induced post again :roll:
Not at all, just the harsh light of reality. Scotland are spectacular in their failure to qualify for major events. We know it and acknowledge it.

Not at all, just the harsh light of reality. Scotland are spectacular in their failure to qualify for major events. We know it and acknowledge it.
Income streams have a lot to do with that. In the 2015/16 season the entire Scottish Premier league spent a grand total of 9.7m on new players - less than Fulham (in the Championship) spent on buying Ross McCormack! With clubs like Chelsea, Tottennam and Everton gambling on continued financial success in the Premier league, those three alone are spending 1.5bn on new stadia etc and can therefore attract the best players so that the standards enjoyed and experienced by the England players week in week out are so much higher. That said (and for that reason) Scottish football is generally shite (the smaller potential crowd size also means it ain't going to improve any time soon. So if we are going to talk about the 'harsh light of reality, we should shine the torch in the right direction.)

Income streams have a lot to do with that. In the 2015/16 season the entire Scottish Premier league spent a grand total of 9.7m on new players - less than Fulham (in the Championship) spent on buying Ross McCormack! With clubs like Chelsea, Tottennam and Everton gambling on continued financial success in the Premier league, those three alone are spending 1.5bn on new stadia etc and can therefore attract the best players so that the standards enjoyed and experienced by the England players week in week out are so much higher. That said (and for that reason) Scottish football is generally shite (the smaller potential crowd size also means it ain't going to improve any time soon. So if we are going to talk about the 'harsh light of reality, we should shine the torch in the right direction.)
While I wouldn't argue with any of that, there was a time when every English club had a Jock or two in the dressing-room, the best of whom were playing for the national side, which was about half and half Scottish Premier and 'expats'. That talent does not seem to come through any more in spite of the fact that the passion for the game doesn't seem to have diminished in the country.

These days it appears that every club throughout Europe has a Serb or Croatian instead. Not just the top clubs either. There is somebody with an 'ic' ending to his name in more than half the Premier and Championship English clubs, not to mention some of the top Italian, Spanish and German ones.

While I wouldn't argue with any of that, there was a time when every English club had a Jock or two in the dressing-room, the best of whom were playing for the national side, which was about half and half Scottish Premier and 'expats'. That talent does not seem to come through any more in spite of the fact that the passion for the game doesn't seem to have diminished in the country.

These days it appears that every club throughout Europe has a Serb or Croatian instead. Not just the top clubs either. There is somebody with an 'ic' ending to his name in more than half the Premier and Championship English clubs, not to mention some of the top Italian, Spanish and German ones.
I made a similar point not long ago regarding the lost opportunities to domestic players due to the increasing numbers of foreign players being brought into the game - I was lamb-blasted for denying the impact that these players have made to the quality of the English game (an assertion I did not deny). But the fact remains, there are far less opportunities for indigenous players to experience the top level of the game in the UK, something that has, as you say, also impacted quite severely on Scots players.